RT56 Corona Fastback

Pavrocky

Hi,

I have joined the site, having owned several Toyota - a 1968 RT40 four door in the late 80's and early 90's and presently driving an RA60 Celica Coupe. After having owned the RT56 Fastback for about 10 years, time has arrived to get my hands dirty. I have started with the basics, washing ten years of dirt off the vehicle and I have started scraping petrified rubber door seals from the vehicle. Is anyone able to advise the best way of obtaining rubber door seals? I appreciate that this is not a cheap item in the restoration but obviously would like to minimise costs and time spent in finding suppliers. Other items required are two full hubcaps. For my restoration, I have a website and blog area for the "journey' to be followed and am determined to keep many pictures along the way (rt56coronarestoration.yolasite.com). There are pictures of the hubcaps there.

I have a picture below of the 'Wet-look" RT56 - love that shine. Unfortunately it didn't last long! She will be getting a full respray in the original colour, once I can establish what it is under the subsequent layers of paint.

Pav

post-24972-0-51305200-1309938694_thumb.j

post-24972-0-54623400-1309938757_thumb.j

post-24972-0-28791300-1309938773_thumb.j

Edited by Pavrocky

Welcome to the forum mate. You certainly know how to open my eyes. An RT56 is a dream car for me. Only ever seen one in the metal and that was a loooooong time ago.

I had a look at your website too. You mispelled the link though. Missed the "s" in "restoration" but I still got there. Great site. Hope you keep adding to it. Good to see a lot of pics of the car and read your write up. I'm glad the plan is to keep the car as original as possible. This car is too rare to mess with it too much.

As for parts all I can say is eBay is your friend, but I'm sure you already know that. Not sure if Rare Spares can help with rubbers, but they certainly won't be cheap. However I've always found their items to be good quality, fit well and the staff are very helpful. In Adelaide they are anyway.

Edited by Chobis

Welcome to the forum mate. You certainly know how to open my eyes. An RT56 is a dream car for me. Only ever seen one in the metal and that was a loooooong time ago.

I had a look at your website too. You mispelled the link though. Missed the "s" in "restoration" but I still got there. Great site. Hope you keep adding to it. Good to see a lot of pics of the car and read your write up. I'm glad the plan is to keep the car as original as possible. This car is too rare to mess with it too much.

As for parts all I can say is eBay is your friend, but I'm sure you already know that. Not sure if Rare Spares can help with rubbers, but they certainly won't be cheap. However I've always found their items to be good quality, fit well and the staff are very helpful. In Adelaide they are anyway.

Thanks for the welcome and also the heads-up on my ommission of the 's' which has now been corrected. I have spoken with Rare Spares and they are pretty much only good for Holden and Ford, although they have access to and RT40 rubber kit. Another challenge is that I will have to find quarter glass window rubbers for all four opening quarter-glass windows in the RT56. Oh well, nothing like a challenge.

Pav

Hi,

Just an update on the progress made - The rear axle and suspension has been removed, stripped of dirt and grease, resprayed and reassembled with nolathane bushes, new brake linings and wheel cylinders, and gas shockies. The rear third of the underbody has been cleaned and resprayed with underbody sealant. Next step will be to restore the front end. All parts are to hand and I hope ths will be completed sooner rather than later. I will be stripping and respraying the remaining underbody sealant. Prior to reinstalling the front end, it will be necessary to remove the engine and gearbox in order to allow the re-painting of the engine bay. Whilst the engine and gearbox are out, they will receive the clean of a lifetime prior to re-installation.

Pav

Edited by Pavrocky