86 corona

Advanrona

• 5 months later...

Does it have the 2.4 EFI 22RE motor with a manual gearbox? Sorry, Hi there, Graeme here from the Aurion side of the site but I had an 83 Corona CS-X, fell in love with it and all the models and variations after it, studied the Avante a lot when my parents got an 86 model later on when I had an 84 Celica which was basically a 2 door Corona with pop up lights and a faster diff, even the later front wheel drive Celicas were considered 2 door Camrys, would love to help if you want. Have pics of my Corona in my album, still think they have a great look and heaps of potential. 1986...Independant rear suspension about a decade before Holden were boasting about the Commodore having it, rear wheel drive, great rack and pinion steering, comfortable, what model do you have, CS, CS-X or Avante or one of the CS-i Limited models?

• 11 months later...

Does it have the 2.4 EFI 22RE motor with a manual gearbox? Sorry, Hi there, Graeme here from the Aurion side of the site but I had an 83 Corona CS-X, fell in love with it and all the models and variations after it, studied the Avante a lot when my parents got an 86 model later on when I had an 84 Celica which was basically a 2 door Corona with pop up lights and a faster diff, even the later front wheel drive Celicas were considered 2 door Camrys, would love to help if you want. Have pics of my Corona in my album, still think they have a great look and heaps of potential. 1986...Independant rear suspension about a decade before Holden were boasting about the Commodore having it, rear wheel drive, great rack and pinion steering, comfortable, what model do you have, CS, CS-X or Avante or one of the CS-i Limited models?

Hey Graeme ! You seem to be someone who's still passionate about the RT141and 142 !! Im going to look at one for sale on friday, Would you know of any tips or hints about it ?? Its a 1985 Avante with a 5 speed manual gearbox running the 22RE engine. Would you know if its worth modifying at all ?? Im struggling to find aftermarket parts for one. So far through research I found companies selling the exhaust maniofld that fits a turbo for the Toyota 4runner. They too run a 22RE but turbo. Is this an idea at all ? or is it better to do an engine conversion ? :S I would love to have a 1ggte in it !!! :D

thanks,

Seb

Hi Seb, In my Celica I always wanted to put the 22RE, my father had a Hilux with the 2.7l, the gearbox was similar (W56 code number I think), I often thought that would be a good motor though not sure if it is more of or torque motor, but twin cam 16 valve efi, didn't look into it much more & now there may be heaps more options. With the one you are looking at, from memory if the shift pattern on the gearbox has reverse by pushing down on the shifter and sliding it up to the left ttowards the glovebox along side 1st gear, that is a Corona box that are not good on performance, if reverse is down and back towards you it is most likely the same box as the Celica. On the build plate in the engine bay if the transmission is a W55 or 57 then it is definately an alloy case Celica box, (the same one they put in old holdens behind 6 cyl & small V8s) You are right about parts, would be getting very hard to find, I only sold my 83 Celica because I could not get parts, especially body/trim parts. I would imagine mechanical parts would be getting scarce also. If you are passionate enough and want to modify it then it's up to you. If you are prepared to do a engine swap to something newer might pay to research parts for the rest of the car. especially grille, headlight, taillight and interior parts, unless you can custom make or modify from other cars to fit, you may have worn out or damaged parts you can't replace. Can get costly in the long run but if you are passionate and the money doesn't bother then go for it. LIke I said do some research, call Toyota and just see the availabilty on trim parts, you would be lucky to find one at the wreckers now. They are getting pretty rare, the last time I saw a Corona on the street where I live was about a year ago. When you cant replace something with a good condition part it can be quite a headache. Maybe a newer motor than the 22RE if you are going to do it, just for better availabilty on parts. Hope that helps and hasn't put you off, all depends on your budget and how much you are will to spend, anything is do-able.

Graeme

Oh okay , yeah thats a very good point never really considered it. There's just something about the older cars that the new cars don't have. Sounds silly I guess but would be pretty awesome to cruise around in one. Thanks heaps for the help. I'm actually quit excited about looking at the corona this afternoon, just hope its a well-kept one. :)

thanks again!

Hope the Corona turned out ok, I read an article years ago in Fast Four magazine, they rebuilt a 1976 Celica liftback/fastback, they spent 30 grand on it, their closing arguement was, you could buy a new Celica for the same amount but the one they had build would out-run, out-corner and looked better than the new model. Better sound, interior and features. I guess in the end you would have the car you love with eveything in it you would want and it would be custom. I paid $35,000 for my Aurion new, yet there is still heaps I spent on it to make it close to individual. If I had spent that on my Corona or my Celica, it would be a one of kind, with more custom features and more perfomance. And the addition of better reliability, new cars don't have much of a shelf life, you do a custom build up and you know everything that went into it, and you can work on it yourself. Some of the mods I did to the Aurion were pushing to void the new car warranty, if I waited the 2 years to run out I probably would not have bothered. I can see it from both sides, I had a new car with a warranty but I had to spend more to make it stand out, even so, older car get noticed more.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...