Thinking of gettin new mods - Help

chris1991119

HI guys,

So now I am thinking of gettin some more mods for my celica 05, mid-pipe & header for now.

So I went to a local exhaust shop and asked if they have any headers available for a celica 05 and they tell me celica headers are not made cus lights (warning lights) come on.

therefore, can anyone tell me if this shop is lying or tellin the truth cus i see celica headers for sale on ebay (duh) and other websites. If he is telling truth then why dont they make them? and has anyone seen anything/ been told something similar? Also if you do have a aftermarket header - any issues (pros and cons) with it?

If u want to know, NO im not going turbo / supercharge - cus gonna cost 5-10k (thats almost as much as my car when i brought it plus I'm a Uni student). Therefore I want to stick to light mods which increase HP n torque to increase everyday drving exp.

Also I am thinking of gettin a aftermartket mid pipe - any idea if good or bad or waste of money mod?

In addition, I like to stick to local products (brisbane)

Any info relating to this is good

cheers

Edited by chris1991119
  • Like 1

They are stupid. The light will go off if you change the intake pipe as the car has a sensor in it. It does not damage the car but will have the check engine light come up.

PPE header and mid pipe, HKS silent hi-power catback, 440cc injectors, DD intake manifold, 2.5 CAI(Blitz pod) ,MWR 190lph fuel pump and PFC and a tune.

That will get you 130kw at the wheels.

The standard exhaust manifold is decent as it is and if you get it ported it will save a lot of money and do a very similar thing. The exhaust is a matter of sound really. The muffler is set up before the rear sub frame and so the tail pipe comes out from it at a funny angle. It is a matter of how it looks mostly. Megan racing make a okay one that is shiney.

Sorry about the bold lettering, could not change it lol

• Like 1

440cc injectors and 190L/h pump are overkill on an NA 2zz, only really needed once you are using the DD intake manifold.

PPE extractors don't throw any lights, but they aren't local. If you want a local one it will have to be custom made. PPE also make off the shelf mid pipes, which can save you the bother of driving to the exhaust shop, without an exhaust, to make the new mid pipe. You'll need to order the correct one as there are three different options. Being an 05 I'll assume original engine, so you'll need the air injection block off tabs on the flange.

I am sorry guys, but I have little idea what you are talking about because I am not very familiar with techical words/abbreviations.

So could you please explain in simple language what I kind of modifications I should get after getting a AEM CAI.

And as mentioned I prefer to buy local parts where possible - saves the issue of not fitting/wrong part BUT am willing to perchase overseas providing I know that it will fit.

As for my performance mods - AEM CAI and a stainless steel exhaust cannon (If you can call it a performance mod)

I sorry as I am not a professional when it comes to car mod definitions/words/abbreviations.

thx

Edited by chris1991119

You'll need to think about what you want to do between the PPE extractor and the ported manifold. Porting the manifold is done to the stock exhaust manifold. The PPE extractor already has larger pipes.

As for the pistons it is a tear down job. The engine will have to come out, so you may as well add anything else internal you may wish to do at the same time.

What cat do you have now? The stock one, or an aftermarket one of some sort? If aftermarket, what is the pipe diameter?

Yeh i would also not bother with the pistons. Personally get the standard exhaust manifold ported which is essentialy get it drilled out to a larger size. It will save a lot of money. Then get a decent exhaust from megan racing in USA but i have not really looked around much and the intake should be fine. Then just give it a good service.

If it is all stock besides the cannon you will need a catalytic converter and maybe another muffler. Then just get it all piped up by a exhaust shop. stay 2.5 you should not need any largwer

Jeez mate. You are going way over board, If you want another 20% power read my thread on SS3 modifications. The things I have done to my car will make yours fly like a rocket, as well as increasing engine efficiency and life.

Edited by Excalibur

The guys are right in saying forget about bigger injectors. I phoned the states and was about to order some, but the guy told me mine were good up to 300hp. Bigger injectors will muck up your computer and fuel economy so you would need a new computer

And porting? Yes it will work, but save it for when you need a new set of rings. There are many other, simpler things you can do. Every 6 kg of weight you lose on your car will improve acceleration and basically frees up 1 hp. This is a trick of the racing world. Also start with centrifugal weight. 2 kilos saved on your 2 front tyres is also about a 2 hp gain

To start with i would recommend

- Use a hi flow filter

- Dont drive with a full tank. It wears out your engine and decreases braking. Fill to ¼ or 1/3 of a tank only.

This will free up about 6hp. You have 2 gallons or 100k on reserve

- Get rid of the spare wheel, jack, brace and wheel cover (17kg or 3 hp gain) and carry a can of tyre foam

- Use lightweight Toyo T1R's on the front. They are one kilo lighther than most other tyres

- Lighweight mags such as 16" Volks at 5.3 kg will free up an extra 2 or 3 hp

- Put in a pod or ram situated facing into a cool air flow

- Gain 3hp by using the Buddy Club Racing Spec Condenser

- Get a carbon fibre bonnet and use a Vertex 440A racing battery at 5.5kg

Edited by Excalibur

From the list of mods that you are suggesting Excalibur, I would want to get

- Buddy club racing spec condenser

- Lighter tires

- Get rid of the spare wheel, jack, brace and wheel cover

For the carbon fibre bonnet thats a no no because it cost nearly 1k to buy and import over from USA / JAPAN.

Mags, I already got some - so dont really wanna spend bout 1k on tires and rims again

And what is the pod or ram situated facing into a cool air flow? also where can you get a Vertex 440A racing battery at 5.5kg?

thx

Edited by chris1991119

The guys are right in saying forget about bigger injectors. I phoned the states and was about to order some, but the guy told me mine were good up to 300hp. Bigger injectors will muck up your computer and fuel economy so you would need a new computer

And porting? Yes it will work, but save it for when you need a new set of rings. There are many other, simpler things you can do. Every 6 kg of weight you lose on your car will improve acceleration and basically frees up 1 hp. This is a trick of the racing world. Also start with centrifugal weight. 2 kilos saved on your 2 front tyres is also about a 2 hp gain

To start with i would recommend

- Use a hi flow filter

- Dont drive with a full tank. It wears out your engine and decreases braking. Fill to ¼ or 1/3 of a tank only.

This will free up about 6hp. You have 2 gallons or 100k on reserve

- Get rid of the spare wheel, jack, brace and wheel cover (17kg or 3 hp gain) and carry a can of tyre foam

- Use lightweight Toyo T1R's on the front. They are one kilo lighther than most other tyres

- Lighweight mags such as 16" Volks at 5.3 kg will free up an extra 2 or 3 hp

- Put in a pod or ram situated facing into a cool air flow

- Gain 3hp by using the Buddy Club Racing Spec Condenser

- Get a carbon fibre bonnet and use a Vertex 440A racing battery at 5.5kg

I wouldn't bother with the half tank method. 30L is about 22kg, and you'll soon tire of filling 'up' twice as often.

As for carrying foam, unless you want to replace the rim after using it, don't bother.

Skip the racing condenser, they don't do anything.

• 1 year later...

They are stupid. The light will go off if you change the intake pipe as the car has a sensor in it. It does not damage the car but will have the check engine light come up.

PPE header and mid pipe, HKS silent hi-power catback, 440cc injectors, DD intake manifold, 2.5 CAI(Blitz pod) ,MWR 190lph fuel pump and PFC and a tune.

That will get you 130kw at the wheels.

The standard exhaust manifold is decent as it is and if you get it ported it will save a lot of money and do a very similar thing. The exhaust is a matter of sound really. The muffler is set up before the rear sub frame and so the tail pipe comes out from it at a funny angle. It is a matter of how it looks mostly. Megan racing make a okay one that is shiney.

Sorry about the bold lettering, could not change it lol

As woot said, the light wont come on if you adapt the oxygen sensors correctly. The only thing I recommend you is getting that job done by a professional if you don't know how to do it. The main issue here is that the oxygen sensor that is after the headers sends a signal to the computer of how "well" performed is the combustion inside the combustion chamber. If you fail to install this sensor correctly, it would send "failure" signals to the ECU and that would make your check engine light go on. In the picture below you can see how a well done job is performed.

Also I would recommend if you are getting more than "bolt-ons" get decent cams, to compensate the increase in fuel of the 440 cc injectors. Also if you can get better cables for spark plugs and make all the supporting mods that would be awesome. Many people start modifying their car without making the supporting mods and they tend to fail within time. Good Luck with your project!

howto011.jpg