Coolant leaking from radiator?

alexg

Hello, new to the forum. I have a 2004 Hilux KZN165R with the 1KZ-TE engine that has lost all the coolant from the overflow container since I topped it up 5 days ago. I had a look and most of it leaked onto the road. I can't drive over 30 km/h without the temperature gauge shooting up to nearly in the red. I had a look at other posts and they seem to suggest a broken head gasket and to look for bubbling in the radiator. Not exactly sure what that means. Here's what I can see of the leak in my radiator.

IMG_1504.jpg?ex=671995bc&is=6718443c&hm=17b7504070166cba6f48889ec69937cd2f8605e40ecc2c085136237836ad51c8&

Hi Alex,

Are you absolutely sure that it is leaking, like have you seen coolant anywhere? The 1995 Hi Ace, I bought< went through coolant all the time, I was forever topping it up. For some dumb reason, I had a good look at the radiator cap, and found that the rubber seal was as stiff as a board. A new cap solved the losing coolant issue.

Herb

Hi Herb,

Yeah, I had a look under the car and saw a big puddle of fluid about the size of a large Domino's pizza. I crawled underneath to see what I could see and saw fluid dripping from my bash plate so I traced the dried/stained fluid up the side of the bash plate to the bottom of the radiator. I had a good look at the radiator and saw what I took in the picture I posted earlier.

I had a good look at all the hoses and pipes and couldn't see any cracks at all. Same with the caps for the fluid tanks.

Cheers,

Alex