95 Celica going - what to do?

JackM

Ok guys, here's the deal.

Last year I got a beautifful emerald pearl green ST204R. It had 365K on the clock so I got a good price. Six months later the selector cable broke, no warranty. $1000 all up to get the part imported and fitted, you know how hard it is to find parts for this car. There's a hole in the nose from a Camry muffler, and now it's mistiming and something else is up with the clutch, no idea what. It prolly needs $500-1000 of work to get it back in something like prime condition.

So what do you think my options are? I'm looking at a nice mk3 Supra next weekend - very similar body to the ST184 but a 3L twin turbo ... I'm also thinking of an FTO or a Nissan 180SX but the Supra is the most affordable. Any other options you guys can think of? I'm pretty much a car newby and I'm no mechanic though I'm willing to learn. Engine swap? I don't like the 5SFE a lot, it's great compared to many cars but not for a Celica as you all know ... Recondition? Fix it? Recommends on a new ride?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. BTW there's prolly a 95 Celica for sale here ... :)

Thanks in advance,

Jack M

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone? Come on please, I'm counting on you guys!

The Supra is still looking good though I haven't driven it yet, it's needed some work. 1989 GA70, JDM 2L twin turbo (not 3L), going for $7,700. What do you guys reckon?

Any comments much appreciated.

Jack

ok the supra u talkin bout has 1ggte a 2.0 twin turbo and combined with the weight of the mk3 isnt anything special... even with mods its always gona be '1 step behind'. im not saying you cant make a quick car but itll always be behind the 7mgte 3l model. + the turbos arent considered reliable especially in a car which is somewhat old.

id get a 180sx sr20det out of those options above. fto's arent really anything special.

BUT INSTEAD OF ALL THAT eventho it will work out more expensive drop a gen3 3sgte into ur celica heheh, itll be quicker than the options above... traction permitting hahahah

drop a gen3 3sgte into ur celica heheh, itll be quicker than the options above... traction permitting hahahah

And while you're at it join up to Ozcelica.com too....

Yesss NGHTKD I think we got him... one person at a time, we'll convert them all!!

drop a gen3 3sgte into ur celica heheh, itll be quicker than the options above... traction permitting hahahah

And while you're at it join up to Ozcelica.com too....

Yesss NGHTKD I think we got him... one person at a time, we'll convert them all!!

Yes you got me, I subscribed to it.

SO.

I have a mate who can get my 95 Celica up to spec and I can sell it for what I spent (more if I'm lucky).

So you think the GA70 is no good? I was surprised when the dealer told me it was a 2L, I expected it was like a 3L export. I do want something with some weight in the back, that won't spin out or fish-tail from the front on a wet morning. I want a heavier rear-wheel drive machine, like a Supra. Sorry Celica fans.

When I went to the Japanese Import Engine shop at Villawood they said they wouldn't drop a 3s-gte into my car, because it's a different drivetrain etc. They'll put in a new (recon jap?) engine or recondition what I have for $2,500. Can I really put a 3s-gte into my car? It has, I notice, the 'well' for a rear drivetrain, as do all the Celicas I've seen. Do they need to make it 4wd?

Please tell me guys what I can do.

Cheers,

Jack