Radiator, Coolant problem

Hi guys

I own a Toyota Corolla Ascent 2002 sedan and I realised that I added the green coolant to my radiator which has red coolant (after red coolant overflows). I read that trouble awaits once green and red coolant mix but the manual itself specify that, it just says you find a toyota long life coolant or equivalent as long as it contains ethylene-glycol.

Now, I am trying to find where the plug/screw is for the radiator and the coolant reservoir so that I can drain it. But I just couldn't find it.

Can someone help describing where it is or post a diagram? What am I looking for?

Thanks

Hey there, welcome to TOCAU.

Have you mixed the coolants then started the engine? If not, you can probably get away with just flushing the radiator. I can't tell you exactly where the drain plug is myself, but very broadly speaking they are usually either at the bottom left or right of the radiator block, looking from directly above it. If you get under the car, you might be able to see a rubber tube (this is where the coolant flows from), which might give you a clue as to the drain plug's location. If you have started the engine, it would be best to flush the whole system. This would mean draining the radiator via its drain plug, removing the top and bottom hoses going to and from the radiator, respectively, draining the engine block via its drain plug, and it would be best if you also drained the heater core by removing its hoses. You might want to also consider flushing the system with some water before refilling with the coolant of your choice.

Also, it's best not to drain coolant on the ground or into the storm water (due to the contaminants that build up in it over time). Ask a local servo or a refuse station.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Thanks. I have started the engine. Sigh.

Looking from the bottom, i think I have to remove a large undercover in order to see clearly where the drain plug is.

I tried removing the tube leading from the radiator but it's darn tight. I'm worried i won't be able to put it back.

Once you open your bonnet, the plug is located more to the right near the radiator towards the bottom. It's a white looking cap

do you have to twist or just pull the cap off? I can't see any white looking cap. will try again.

You have to twist and turn, you can use your fingers.

I know it's white on the sportivo. It could be a different colour on the ascents..

found it! flush with water until fluid coming out of the radiator is clear. thanks for your help.

The best way to flush the cooling system is to remove one of the heater hoses (one of the 2 hoses going into the firewall), jam your garden hose in it, take the radiator drain plug and the cap off and turn the hose on. You'll need to flush it for a while ( 10 or 15 mins AT LEAST). Even if the water is coming out is clear, once you put coolant back in it, you'll see the 2 colours at the rad cap opening and have to do it all over again. The problem with the mixing of the red and green coolants is that some sort of chemical reaction occurs and causes corrosion which will block your rad. and heater core. Make sure you bleed the system thoroughly. Air-locks are a bitch.

NOTE: For older cars with a heater tap, you'll have to turn your heater to the full hot position when flushing and bleeding. Newer cars have an air mix flap which diverts air flow, not coolant flow.

~Josh