Shocking problem 2009 Camry Sportivo 2.4L

Eagle eye

My problem is that in particlar my wife experiences large static electrical shocks when she exits the vehicle. Now I have had some experience with aircraft static electric management but have been helpless to cure this problem. I have fitted a static discharge strap and have measured the resistance between the strap where it touches the road and the heads of the seat bolts, the reading being 3500 ohms. This would normally be a good static earth path. The resistance between the same seat attach bolts and the body where the strap is attached is no more than 2 ohms.

There is one other interesting observation, with the floor mats in my other car a 2008 Corolla, if you push velcro hook onto them the velcro sticks very well but will not stick to the mats in the 2009 Camry!? The Camry is an Australian assembled car and I wonder if they use a different carpet material spec, say more nylon or something. This may be the route of the problem??? Any help in this matter will be gratfully received. :help:

My Aurion Sportivo seats are made from a material that easily builds up static charge. My solution is to pick up some anti-static spray (usually find it together with pantyhose at the shops) and give a light spray to the seats. Works wonders. I usually only find the charge builds up when I wear my work trousers however. The anti-static spray can last a good month or two surprisingly.

If the effects wear out over time and you need to handle the door before you can re-spray your seats, the way I avoid a heavy shock is to swing your hand (like a slapping motion) quickly past the edge of the door once you step out so that your fingers quickly brush the edge of the door. That seems to discharge the static shock with minimal 'shock'.

I normally touch my car key on the top of the door when getting out. Basically I use the metal part on the key (with the rubber end on the key) as an earth rod.

Haven't zapped myself yet, but when I close my door, I normally push the plastic vertical pillar on the frame of the door when I close it so I'm not touching any metal.

See what works for you. These both work for me.. haven't been zapped for yonks :P lol

:D Thanks to all those that replied. I hope that I have found the cure with an anti-static spray as suggested. On extensive research of the web I have found you can make your own anti-static spray which lasts for 3 to 4 weeks. The answer is a fabric softener mix with water in a ratio of 30:1. This you spray on with a trigger spray bottle from your local Plastics product shop, and let dry naturally. I have done this and we will see how it goes. I figure its harmless and given the times you may have to spray it this would be economic.

The following site is one of those I looked at, near the bottom of the article is the instruction to make your own if anyone is interested, cheers. http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A6378744

Well everyone, I can confirm the use of a 30:1 water & fabric softener works a treat. We have not had any shocks since I applied the mixture to the seats. Just thought I should let you and any other Camry owners know the results, cheers. :yahoo: