Dunlop Grandtrek Tyres in short supply

fish475

For any one needing Origional Dunlop Grandtrek ST30 or even putting the 60/40(road/off road) Grandtrek AT3's on.

You just can't get them.

A ship is on the ocean coming mid/late November, then it's anyones guess how long it takes to get them from the docks to various tyre outlets who have back orders.

Being a fully maintained lease I have to put orig equipment/price stuff on. The AT3's are only a smig dearer and the price will be matched, but these are in short supply too.

I'm down to the tread wear line indicators and its kind of stupid in this day and age you can't get tyres.

For any one needing Origional Dunlop Grandtrek ST30 or even putting the 60/40(road/off road) Grandtrek AT3's on.

You just can't get them.

A ship is on the ocean coming mid/late November, then it's anyones guess how long it takes to get them from the docks to various tyre outlets who have back orders.

Being a fully maintained lease I have to put orig equipment/price stuff on. The AT3's are only a smig dearer and the price will be matched, but these are in short supply too.

I'm down to the tread wear line indicators and its kind of stupid in this day and age you can't get tyres.

Pity you have to go original. I went Pirelli Scorpion STR's and they are brilliant. Ridiculous that a car that regularly

appears in the top 20 selling vehicles each month can't get original tyres supplied.!

I noticed when replacing mine there wasn't much around at all in the kluger 245/65/17 size.........and very pricey due to this lack of competition!!

Not just the supermarkets taking us for a ride:)

Edited by wilsact

Yep it would be nice to put something else on like your Pirelli's. But it's not to be.

I just sent Dunlop an e-mail via there website with my concerns. Maybe this angle of communication may get some tyres quicker to my dealer in what ever way.

Edited by fish475

The e-mail mentioned to Dunlop is below

Guys,

My Gen 2 Kluger is in need of news tyres as I am running at the min tread markers as we speak.

I’ve got Grandtrek ST30 on at the moment as original equipment.

Kmart Albury Auto can’t get them so I said to Greg the store mgr to go for GrandTrek AT3’s, but he can’t get them either.

Can you try and source some product for the back order to Kmart Auto Albury.

Can you e-mail back a date that product will available and delivered to the tyre dealer.

As I really can’t wait too much longer than I have already.

Regards,

Garry ----------------------

Response

was

Hi Garry

Kindly call Beaurepaires on 13 23 81 or Goodyear Auto Care on 13 23 43 for the store closest to you with the size

for your below query.

Regards

WTF

I've e-mailed my reply to tell them, that was poor response and totally does not answer my question. If you don't respond properly another brand will choosen very soon.

The e-mail mentioned to Dunlop is below

Guys,

My Gen 2 Kluger is in need of news tyres as I am running at the min tread markers as we speak.

I’ve got Grandtrek ST30 on at the moment as original equipment.

Kmart Albury Auto can’t get them so I said to Greg the store mgr to go for GrandTrek AT3’s, but he can’t get them either.

Can you try and source some product for the back order to Kmart Auto Albury.

Can you e-mail back a date that product will available and delivered to the tyre dealer.

As I really can’t wait too much longer than I have already.

Regards,

Garry ----------------------

Response

was

Hi Garry

Kindly call Beaurepaires on 13 23 81 or Goodyear Auto Care on 13 23 43 for the store closest to you with the size

for your below query.

Regards

WTF

I've e-mailed my reply to tell them, that was poor response and totally does not answer my question. If you don't respond properly another brand will choosen very soon.

I ordered end of last month, got a phonecall on Tuesday that the shipment has been delayed and maybe I'll get some on the 24/11. <_<

Got a phone call on Saturday to says the tyre are ready and fittment takes place this Monday.

Getting the 60/40 off road AT3's.

They should go well at the sandy and compacted soil ramps I use with the boat launching when don't wish to join the two wheeled cars at the concrete ramps.

This is crazy we buy a car like the Kluger and we have trouble in 2009 getting tyres for each of them (17" & 19") Let a lone at reasonable prices its a scam by the manufactures, they all do it, Nissan, Subaru its not just Toyota :angry:

Tyres (Grandtrek AT3) are now on as the wife drove it today to K Auto and back home.

Her comments where how much different it was to drive and noiser as well at 100km's ( to be expected too).

I haven't drove it yet, as I had already had three Crownies when she got home (great), so I will feel the diff tomorrow going to work.

The rush to get the tyres ASAP had reasons behind such, which will be posted later.

By the way the tread pattern and depth of tread looks quite good (impressive) compared to the ST30's

Wonder if my e-mail to the Dunlop boys & girls got the tyres quicker, who knows I guess.

Edited by fish475

• 2 months later...

Dont want to alarm anyone but we are having loads of trouble with Dunlop Grantrek tyres out in the country. I guess they see their fair share of pretty ordanary gravel roads but everyone with prado's or any other vehicle with them on arnt even getting 20,000km out of a set without them seperating or completly letting go. Just Thurdays I had a customer telling me all about the probelms he had with them and friday the council brought a rim in off a prado that had done 8000km and all there was was two side walls absolutly no middle tread section of tyre. Ill be getting Bridgestons D694 A/T next time. Coopers are also not much chop theses days, Goodyear Wrangler ATR's are very decent and take loads of punishment.

But Basically Id say theres such a shortage of Dunlop grandtrex cause either a) they suck so much they stopped making them to figure out were they were going wrong B) they sucked so much that everyone was replacing them so often with the OEM tyre on the millions of prados out here that they used em all up, or c) I cant think of a C.

Something also to note that, depends on the size of tyre alot of the Bridgestone D694 and D693 are made in Australa, New Zealand or Japan, however the bridgeston rep told me the other day that they are actually stopping making them in Australia. So I'm going to order me a full set soonish before they all go and store them till I need em. Good tyre. Currently I have GT Radials AT somethings (came with Kluger purchaced like 2 weeks ago) and they are ok, but they dont like gravel roads with loads of sharp rocks and stuff. they are looking a little bruised.

Dont want to alarm anyone but we are having loads of trouble with Dunlop Grantrek tyres out in the country. I guess they see their fair share of pretty ordanary gravel roads but everyone with prado's or any other vehicle with them on arnt even getting 20,000km out of a set without them seperating or completly letting go. Just Thurdays I had a customer telling me all about the probelms he had with them and friday the council brought a rim in off a prado that had done 8000km and all there was was two side walls absolutly no middle tread section of tyre. Ill be getting Bridgestons D694 A/T next time. Coopers are also not much chop theses days, Goodyear Wrangler ATR's are very decent and take loads of punishment.

But Basically Id say theres such a shortage of Dunlop grandtrex cause either a) they suck so much they stopped making them to figure out were they were going wrong B) they sucked so much that everyone was replacing them so often with the OEM tyre on the millions of prados out here that they used em all up, or c) I cant think of a C.

Something also to note that, depends on the size of tyre alot of the Bridgestone D694 and D693 are made in Australa, New Zealand or Japan, however the bridgeston rep told me the other day that they are actually stopping making them in Australia. So I'm going to order me a full set soonish before they all go and store them till I need em. Good tyre. Currently I have GT Radials AT somethings (came with Kluger purchaced like 2 weeks ago) and they are ok, but they dont like gravel roads with loads of sharp rocks and stuff. they are looking a little bruised.

Bridgestone have shut down their Australian factory (in South Australia) late last year and also their production facility in New Zealand. Australia is in the wonderful position of not having a major tyre factory in the country. Grandtreks are mainly designed for on-road use. A sensible option from Toyota would be to allow the customer to specify what tyre they want, either country (A/T) or city, as Ford do with the Territory. I have used both Bridgestone & Goodyear A/T through work, either come highly recommended.

Well there you go. I bet this shutdown of Australian Factories is said to be to make the cost less. But $50 bucks says that the price of them wont be coming down. Its all a crock. Id gladly pay more for Australian Made. Its pretty silly of toyota to put such Highway prefered tyres on the advitised "Hardcore 4WD"

Edited by NimrodAUS