engine problems

Keisari

My celi would always start up within one second of turning over, but suddenly it would sometimes require as many as 5 or 6 tries to get going lately. Once it did get going, however, it would be fine.

Today when I got it to start the idle was extremely erratic. It would be stable for a few seconds then randomly bog down 300-600 rpm with a corresponding kickback in the exhaust. When it kicks back, the engine shudders. Also, sometimes when turning over the electricity sometimes dies for a bit, almost like a flat battery, then suddenly comes back again, like a perfectly fine battery. The voltmeter says there's plenty of juice.

There's no CEL and no codes.

I replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor. The leads, battery and fuel filter are only about 2 years old. I verified the ignition timing not long ago. I suspect a bad distributor, as I also noticed oil seepage under the cap. What do you guys think, and how much is a remanufactured distributor for my vintage?

Cheers.

My celi would always start up within one second of turning over, but suddenly it would sometimes require as many as 5 or 6 tries to get going lately. Once it did get going, however, it would be fine.

Today when I got it to start the idle was extremely erratic. It would be stable for a few seconds then randomly bog down 300-600 rpm with a corresponding kickback in the exhaust. When it kicks back, the engine shudders. Also, sometimes when turning over the electricity sometimes dies for a bit, almost like a flat battery, then suddenly comes back again, like a perfectly fine battery. The voltmeter says there's plenty of juice.

There's no CEL and no codes.

I replaced the spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor. The leads, battery and fuel filter are only about 2 years old. I verified the ignition timing not long ago. I suspect a bad distributor, as I also noticed oil seepage under the cap. What do you guys think, and how much is a remanufactured distributor for my vintage?

Cheers.

hey mate i had the same problem with my 1986 celica and i just made a starter relay 4 it and nowit starts fine and yea my car does that shutter thing every now then but idk wat it is

thanks sydney

Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to update: I ended up reconditioning my distributor and now all's well. After soaking it in petrol and cleaning it all up, then replacing the centre oil seal, bearing and outer o-ring, no problems at all.

I got it done at Performance Ignition Services in Nunawading, VIC. I dropped it off late in the afternoon and it was done before end of business, reasonably priced too.