GPS Headunit

midii

Hi folks,

Has anyone ever seen/bought one of these headunits:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...=STRK:MEWAX:VRI

If so what are your thoughts? Was the installation OK and did it function as expected?

My biggest concern at this point, is id like to keep the car fairly "stock" looking and am worried that the backlighting wont match the orange in the corolla etc...

I should also ask, if anyone has installed an aftermarket headunit (ebay type) can you post photos of it?

Im trying to find "the look"

Thanks

I'll tack on to this and ask a similar question;

What do you guys think of eBay GPS units in general. I'm looking for much the same as the midii. I found this: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/7-LCD-DVD-GPS-PLAYE...=item5ad5cd12c5 and I'm so very tempted to get it. Has anyone here bought one before?

I'm thinking I might give the one you found a go.

Here's the link for the one currently on sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/DVD-GPS-BT-FOR-TOYO...=item20ad71a89a

Unfortunately, the link you posted was a Christmas sale, and the price is now $599 (instead of $549).

I wonder where in Sydney he's located...

I think he has "Make an offer" on it, so just make an offer of $450.

I've been emailing him heaps.

For the record the backlighting is blue.

(See attachment)

post-14910-1263128165_thumb.jpg

Oh :(

No way to change it to Orange?

Edit:

Actually, you know what, it doesn't bother me too much. My last headunit had blue backlit buttons along the bottom of it. Besides, I might one day pull it apart to change the LEDs.

Going to Mortdale, where he is, tonight to have a look/possibly buy one.

Edited by Whitey1212

Installed so quick, was it difficult?

Im looking at getting a similar one probably next week and although ive done a heap of stereos in the past most have been on older cars that were slightly easier to hack apart.

I picked up a different one of ebay which has orange backlighting so should fit in much nicer.

Will post some more info whenever it arrives.

I have to admit, after trying to talk to these guys about postage etc etc they really like avoiding the questions. I hope now that my unit comes quickly so I can forget all about them.

Fail :angry:

Woot! Have my GPS/DVD etc unit installed.

Looks 99% factory, although the user interface isnt as stylish as a factory unit might be.

Still I am very happy!!!

Now my question to all those out there, im not 100% sure if its analog or digital tv as no antenna was supplied... has anyone install lets say for example an analog antenna and managed to hide it somewhere that isnt noticable? Also if anyone has any good ideas where to get one of these, cant seem to find much on ebay except larger whiz-bang antennas ...

Cheers guys

Looks 99% factory, although the user interface isnt as stylish as a factory unit might be.

Still I am very happy!!!

Now my question to all those out there, im not 100% sure if its analog or digital tv as no antenna was supplied... has anyone install lets say for example an analog antenna and managed to hide it somewhere that isnt noticable? Also if anyone has any good ideas where to get one of these, cant seem to find much on ebay except larger whiz-bang antennas ...

Cheers guys

Hey there...

Am thinking of getting a GPS as well.. can you post some pics to see how it looks in the new ZRE... thanks...

Still I am very happy!!!

Cheers guys

Hey there...

Am thinking of getting a GPS as well.. can you post some pics to see how it looks in the new ZRE... thanks...

Hey,

I'll post some pics later on, it looks factory really except that the software running on it seems a little cheap, is OK once you get the hang of it but many options out there. I like the system Whitey got except that its blue backlighting which I was too fussy about.

Nice work guys.

This looks very tempting, as I also want to replace my stock headunit.

I was wondering how good is the GPS and is it fast to find a lock? as the stock inbuilt GPS in my Dad's Toyota Camry is fantastic.

Although I already have an dedicated Mio GPS, I would prefer to have an GPS built into my dash.

Also how hard is it to get it installed?

Hi Jazz,

The GPS is alright, you can change the GPS software if you can find something better but the lock is pretty much straight away.

The installation was easy, took me about 10 minutes, is plug and play so only requires you remove the old stereo (4 bolts and 4 screws) and reattach the brackets to the new one and put it back in the dash with oem cables.