Brake Upgrade

ope126

Hi All,

Only had the Kluger for a short time, however I feel that the brakes need some improvement.

Now the car has less than 20,000kms on it, so I imagine they are not worn yet.

Are people upgrading there brakes?

Changing Pads or are the OEM Toyota Pads up to scratch?

Changing the Brake Fluid, or is the OEM Brake Fluid ok?

What about brake conversions...

I was thinking about getting the front 4 piston calipers from a Hilux / Prado / Landcruiser and seeing if they would be a straight "bolt on" upgrade.

What are your thoughts / experiences guys...

Happy to discuss!

mate, if you have the current model kluger and find the brake inefficient, there is something wrong with your car. Mine pulls up quicker than ever my small barina or any other car i had ever had!

Thanks for your input.

Yeah, 12/2008 Kluger KX-S...

Maybe it's the extra weight that the Kluger carries, but I still feel that it needs some improvements.

Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions as to improvements; please let me know.

The solution depends on your problem.

If the car stops but the pedal goes to the floor - Better/fresh fluid

If the car doesn't stop, but the pedal is still firm (and a strong disgusting smell is coming from the pads) - Better pads

If you get to the point where you have the highest temp rating pads and they are overheating still - Larger rotors

As for calliper upgrades you will need to measure your mounting points first, and offsets and then measure the callipers you want to swap on. Very rarely do callipers interchange easily.

The solution depends on your problem.

If the car stops but the pedal goes to the floor - Better/fresh fluid

If the car doesn't stop, but the pedal is still firm (and a strong disgusting smell is coming from the pads) - Better pads

If you get to the point where you have the highest temp rating pads and they are overheating still - Larger rotors

As for calliper upgrades you will need to measure your mounting points first, and offsets and then measure the callipers you want to swap on. Very rarely do callipers interchange easily.

Thanks for your input.

Firstly, there is no problem.

The pedal is not soft / spongy, however I think an upgrade to a higher boiling point Brake Fluid would be worth a try.

No smell from brake pads, but I think some replacement pads would be great; OEM Toyota Pads at this stage.

I am finding it very difficult to source any aftermarket pads for 2008+ Klugers.

I think the caliper carriers should be fine to suit the 4 pot calipers as they are Toyota Units.

Might be worth a try. I have read a few forums in relatiion to these upgrades, not neceserally in relation to Klugers, both other makes and models.

I really think it is just me adjusting to the way the Kluger stops.

The extra Weight transfer etc.

Obviously different than all my previous cars...

Does anyone know of any after market pads for these cars?

Basically at this stage, I will most likely look at a fluid change and pad change for more "Peace Of Mind"...

What';s the chassis code? Redbook says it is GSU4# which doesn't match up with any chassis in Japan on my searches through the Endless and Project Mu catalogues.

Brake fluid should be done every 2 years anyway, so it's probably due.

What';s the chassis code? Redbook says it is GSU4# which doesn't match up with any chassis in Japan on my searches through the Endless and Project Mu catalogues.

Brake fluid should be done every 2 years anyway, so it's probably due.

Mine is a GSU40R (2wd). Also there is GSU45R (AWD)

Mine is a 12/2008 so would be due December this year.

Still keen to look at the fluid to a higher boiling point and might also look at the pads.

Redbook also says it is GSU4xR. Shame, I can't find anything on the Japanese catalogues with that chassis number. It'll surely share pads with some thing else though, no car company does bespoke brake pads.

Ok, so I took the Kluger down to my good friend John Large (Owner) from Brakes Plus Underwood. http://www.brakesplus.com.au/franchise.php?mode=viewstore&fid=890

He put the Kluger on the brake dyno and the brakes are "EXCEPTIONAL".

So maybe it is all me, just getting used to the pedal feel, extra weight of the Kluger.

As I have only had it for 2 weeks now.

So that is re-assuring to know.