Auto trans on current model Camry

Mr Toyoda

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum, so apologies if these questions/comments have already been asked & answered.

1. I have a 2009 Camry 5-speed auto. When the throttle is applied and the car accelerates to around 20km/h there is always a clunk or thud sound. It does not sound alarming, but I would like to know what it is. My wife has an identical 2009 Camry and her car does the same. Anyone know?

2. Also, the auto does indeed have a hestitation of 1 to 2 seconds before taking off. I don't mind this, as I can kid myself I am driving a Mercedes which also deliberately has this tendency. Any comments?

3. Do you sometimes pretend your car is a Lexus ES or LS?

4. How often do you condition your leather trim?

thanks.

Seiji Toyoda

As I understand it the Aussie five speed auto gearbox is different from the American five speed auto gearbox

The American one had some problems

The Aussie six speed box has had some problems but has been or is being fixed by Toyota

I'm doing some checking up on the Camry auto gearboxes and I'll get back here if I find out anything interesting !

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, welcome to the forum.

The aussie built camry's have there auto boxes come out form a mob in wagga wagga (or wadonga cant remember).

As Applegarth said, the US ones had issues, but I think you find the dealer is on the money with the ABS test. I have driven a manual gen 6 and didn't find this problem at all.

One question, does this happen on startup from cold? or is it something that happens every time you take off?