Underbody rust proofing option

idisc

Hi Guys...

Placed a deposit on a Kluger yesterday :yahoo:

One of the options that the dealer offered me was a product from Protech, underbody rust proofing.

I'm assuming its that black goop they spray on. Apparently it helds shield out road noise too, so I'm guessing its pretty heavy stuff (I'm trying not to add on extra weight to the car!).

Life time warranty, and they recommend it is good if you go off road.

Around $400... what do you guys reckon?

My car is going to spend nearly all of its life in the city, however I may occasionally take it offroad if we go camping, or maybe onto the beach. Both of these situations will be quite infrequent.

how sure are you about taking it to the beach? If it is definitely only ever around town then rust is very unlikely. But hit the beach even once and I would be getting everything up to and including a Buddist Priest to pray over it to prevent rust.

I doubt the warranty is a life time protection against rust - more likely a life time warranty on the product itself lasting. Be sure to ask about that specifically.

If it's the black spray or paint on goop, you can do it yourself for much, MUCH cheaper. However the majority of the road noise comes from the tyres, so there is more benefit in coating the inner guards then the underbody if sound proofing is your goal.

I ended up getting the anti rust option. I usually never opt in for these options, but I figured there is a chance that I will hit the beach and I may not clean all the nooks and crannies thoroughly, so for $400 odd, it will give me peace of mind.