Any Comments on 99 Camry MCV20R CSI Wagon

Ozzcaddy

I originally posted this in General Toyota Discussions before I realised the different Model forums. If a Moderator see's this, can you delete my previous post.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm after comments on a 99 Camry MCV20R CSI 6 cyl Wagon. I need to get another car as my crappy '95 Magna V6 has blown a head gasket(s) and I have no intentions of spending anymore money on it. I'm looking at a Camry as it has low K's 110,000, appears clean throughout (internet pics) and the asking price is $6,500. I'm going after a wagon as I am a carer for my mother, who now uses walking aids and a wheel chair.

Any comments on what I should look out when I go to look at this car?

Are there any general known problems with this model?

Ozzcaddy

I have a 98 CSi with 245000 kms on it. Never had a single problem with it. As long as you service it correctly (for me its every 5000kms) it should last you a while.

There are a few things to consider however, No ABS brakes, electric windows, airbags etc so check the price of a higher model if you want those extras.

Thanks for the comments. I'm assuming being a V6 that the timing belt is replaced at 100,000 kms intervals like the Magna I have. Normally water pump is done at the same time.

I originally posted this in General Toyota Discussions before I realised the different Model forums. If a Moderator see's this, can you delete my previous post.

Hi Everyone, I'm new to the forum and I'm after comments on a 99 Camry MCV20R CSI 6 cyl Wagon. I need to get another car as my crappy '95 Magna V6 has blown a head gasket(s) and I have no intentions of spending anymore money on it. I'm looking at a Camry as it has low K's 110,000, appears clean throughout (internet pics) and the asking price is $6,500. I'm going after a wagon as I am a carer for my mother, who now uses walking aids and a wheel chair.

Any comments on what I should look out when I go to look at this car?

Are there any general known problems with this model?

Ozzcaddy

Hi Ozzcaddy,

I have a 1999 MCV20R Touring V6 sedan, just ticked over to 201,000kms last night and she is still going strong. The only issues I have had are a leaking power steering pump, leaking power steering rack and a small oil seep from the rocker cover. My mechanic works on a lot of 20 series Camrys and has found these to be common issues, but in the scheme of things, they are relatively inexpensive to fix - I fixed all those issues for about $1000. Oil changes every 10,000km are important, some owners have a tendency to push it out to 15-20,000kms (a big no no) citing Toyota reliability, so just check service history to ensure all is in order.

Have a look around for the Conquest wagon or if you budget stretches, the Vienta VXi wagon. Even if you pick up one with slightly higher kilometres than the CSi you are looking at, provided it has been well looked after, age should not wary it. The Conquest and VXi have additional luxury features, but more importantly have dual airbags and anti-lock brakes as standard. That might be something to consider given both features are a "standard fit" on modern cars today.

Hi JMacca53,

Thanks for your comments on what to look out for and advice on servicing. I actually have placed a deposit on the car that I am looking at, picking it up later in the week. This car has only 110,000 K's and is in immaculate condition and it is priced $6,500 (private sale). Log books appear to be in order. Done various checks with RTA, REVS which are all in order.

I have a couple of other questions:

Does a oil cooler come standard with this model? When I checked it out, I can't remember if I notice one or not.

Can you still buy the Factory Workshop manual for this model?

Does a oil cooler come standard with this model? When I checked it out, I can't remember if I notice one or not.

Do you mean as in an automatic transmission oil cooler? I have a manual, but pretty sure I have seen a Denso supplied unit behind the grille on my other half's automatic Vienta.

Workshop manuals are available online at the link below. However, they are written for the US.

Gen 4 manuals

Do you mean as in an automatic transmission oil cooler? I have a manual, but pretty sure I have seen a Denso supplied unit behind the grille on my other half's automatic Vienta.

Workshop manuals are available online at the link below. However, they are written for the US.

Gen 4 manuals

Yes, I meant the Auto Transmission oil cooler.

Thanks for the link on the Workshop manual. I was in the US for 6 years, so I will understand the lingo if it is written that way.

Im 90% postive that our cars dont have a auto transmission cooler. Thats why Anthony broke his gearbox when he supercharged it and tried to launch it but held the revs at the line for a little too long. In saying that it doesnt need a tranny cooler, i give my car a hard time...actually ive been giving it a very hard time for the last 60,000kms with not a single problem.

Service it up at the correct intervals up to 200000km makig sure you fix anything that does arise immediatly so it doesnt creat another problem. After 200000 i reccomend a service every 5000-10000 depending on your driving style and driving conditions.