1990 Celica ST184R SX

eWrathchild

Hey guys, I'll soon be on my p's and after looking around a bit I fell for Celica's, particularly the 1990 model. I have found a few, and I was just looking for some tips on things I should look at when I go to check it out, any obvious things? Help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Might i suggest getting the head pulled off and checked for signs of chemiweld.

my 86 celica had a corroded head that was concealed for 1500kms with chemiweld, then blew the gasket and dropped 2 cylinders.

2500$ repair job

also CV joints and timing belt.

its been amazing since, but yea, im just on my p's and she's my first car.

amazing car, best handling and pickup you want.

P plater to p plater, they drive well in town calmly, or as loud as you'd like. even 24 years later

• 2 weeks later...

Just do the basic check....Celica as far as I know...dont really come with major flaws...

Check Oil, water, coolant....Sign for blown head gasket.....Maybe compression....

Easy way of compression Test:

1)Start the engine...open the oil cap but make sure u keep it coverd with the cap...and see if it tries to jump out...if it does...Then all good

Or

2)Take a piece of cloth....start the engine cover the exhaust for like 5 to 10 sec....let it go....Check compression..

Please note...this is my way of checking ...

Just do the basic check....Celica as far as I know...dont really come with major flaws...

Check Oil, water, coolant....Sign for blown head gasket.....Maybe compression....

1)Start the engine...open the oil cap but make sure u keep it coverd with the cap...and see if it tries to jump out...if it does...Then all good

Or

2)Take a piece of cloth....start the engine cover the exhaust for like 5 to 10 sec....let it go....Check compression..

or you could use a compression tester...

Or

Hahahha....Yeah....easier way....any idea how much do they cost anyways?

I assumed they wudnt be cheap thus used my super methods....lol...

Or

Hahahha....Yeah....easier way....any idea how much do they cost anyways?

I assumed they wudnt be cheap thus used my super methods....lol...

I got one from supercheap ages ago for less than $50