Interior globes

Milgram

Hi All,

Last weekend I decided I'd have a go at replacing a couple of globes blown behind the instrument panel (cigarette lighter and one half of the heater controls). I managed to replace the cigarette lighter globe easily enough but got stuck on the heater controls. I removed the plastic fascia surround and unscrewed the heater control unit (four screws) but could not work out how to get the front of the HVAC unit off. I could feel some clips along the bottom of the unit (one of the three was broken to my surprise :unsure: ).

Any advice would be most appreciated as I do not wish to break anything (looks like previous owner already has!).

Thank you!

hey jmacca,

just wondering what globe types did you use? cos right now i have the same problem with my gen4 camry.\

cheers

The cigarette lighter takes a 1.2W wedge type globe, base is T and type is 5mm (T5?).

Not sure for the heater control backlight, but I suspect the same type of globe. There appears to be two that light up the three dials along with individual bulbs for the A/C and rear demister buttons.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with removing the heater control unit fascia.

cheers.

Edited by JMacca53

• 1 year later...

Hi sorry to dig up an old thread, But I now have the same problem. I need to change the bulbs for the vent position dial as it has gone out. How did you end up getting it. ? I asked a few guys at work and I was told that I need to replace the whole control unit....This I thought a little weird. Any tips or advice ?

Hi sorry to dig up an old thread, But I now have the same problem. I need to change the bulbs for the vent position dial as it has gone out. How did you end up getting it. ? I asked a few guys at work and I was told that I need to replace the whole control unit....This I thought a little weird. Any tips or advice ?

You do not have to change the whole unit. My mechanic changed it for me in the end.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I had to replace my heater control globe plus the lighter globe. The lighter globe is an assembly and the globe can't be replaced. Cost me $24. Took me 3 atttempts to get the lighter assembly back together. Bad engineering, designed to keep this part from being fixed without spitting the dummy a few hundred times.

Heater control has a black piece that has 3 bottom clips and 2 top clips. You need to remove the left hand cable first. Then you can get to the globes.

All that work just to replace a globe.

Edited by joeallen