Strange .... or is it?

SalT

Hi All,

Currently in the market for a new car and doing the rounds at the moment.

Looking at Cx-9 and Kluger to replace 10 year old Saab 9-5. Also looked at Audi Q7 but that's in a different league.

Anyway, dropped into a local Toyota dealer to kick some tyres today. They had 2009 plated KX-S with 50km on it, for $54k. Inside, they had a "limited edition" VVT-I with some extras (step, roof and DVD) on it which with leather was selling for "less than" $60k. It all felt a bit suss, as I thought the VVT-I was the superseded model, the sales guy was adamant that it wasn't.

Have I discovered some time portal ?

Also, I visited 2 toyota dealers today to get an idea of prices and options, one claimed that the prices are $50k, $60k and $70k and extras are $3k and the other refused point blank that a price list existed.

Do I have 2 heads?

Interested in your feedback, this has turned me off dealing with Toyota altogether and validated my perception that they only sell whitegoods.

Hi All,

Looking at Cx-9 and Kluger to replace 10 year old Saab 9-5. Also looked at Audi Q7 but that's in a different league.

Anyway, dropped into a local Toyota dealer to kick some tyres today. They had 2009 plated KX-S with 50km on it, for $54k. Inside, they had a "limited edition" VVT-I with some extras (step, roof and DVD) on it which with leather was selling for "less than" $60k. It all felt a bit suss, as I thought the VVT-I was the superseded model, the sales guy was adamant that it wasn't.

Also, I visited 2 toyota dealers today to get an idea of prices and options, one claimed that the prices are $50k, $60k and $70k and extras are $3k and the other refused point blank that a price list existed.

Do I have 2 heads?

Interested in your feedback, this has turned me off dealing with Toyota altogether and validated my perception that they only sell whitegoods.

I don't quite understand your 50k, 60k and 70k question; also, which "extras" are $3k?

About the models of Kluger, VVT-i is not an actual model; VVT-i stands for Variable Valve Timing (and the i stands for Injection). So the badge is merely saying the engine has Variable Valve Timing. Its like how Honda cars have VTEC badges.

The current model Kluger has 4 spec levels:

KX-R

Altitude (Limited Edition)

KX-S

Grande

Dunno how this has turned you off Toyota and validated your perception that they only sell whitegoods. It doesn't seem that you know the Kluger models and differences to start off with, so how can you claim that the information you were given was incorrect?

You really should take a look at the Toyota website, it explains all the different spec levels and inclusions, including driveaway prices.

Hi All,

Do I have 2 heads?

I don't quite understand your 50k, 60k and 70k question; also, which "extras" are $3k?

About the models of Kluger, VVT-i is not an actual model; VVT-i stands for Variable Valve Timing (and the i stands for Injection). So the badge is merely saying the engine has Variable Valve Timing. Its like how Honda cars have VTEC badges.

The current model Kluger has 4 spec levels:

KX-R

Altitude (Limited Edition)

KX-S

Grande

Dunno how this has turned you off Toyota and validated your perception that they only sell whitegoods. It doesn't seem that you know the Kluger models and differences to start off with, so how can you claim that the information you were given was incorrect?

You really should take a look at the Toyota website, it explains all the different spec levels and inclusions, including driveaway prices.

Came away pretty cranky, that's all.

Mazda and Audi couldn't have been better, drove their cars, talked accessories and delivery options.

Very frustrating experience!

I wont/am not defending car sales persons but in a majority of cases today's buyer arms themselves to the hilt with information regarding the model they are interested in purchasing whereas the sales person has to know more than you on every vehicle in "his" manufacturers range. I am yet to find a sales person that hasnt learnt something from my enquiries with them on particular cars and vice versa. Would you buy a house on the say so of the agent or after you did a pest inspection, market review of the area etc etc yourself? The sales person was probably selling TV's yesterday and the dealership is probably having just as much trouble finding quality staff like most other employers around the country.

Given your statement about "whitegoods" I am not sure you have fully researched the Toyota Kluger or have owned many Toyota's. Regarding the three prices given by a sales person this would be "ball park" figures for particular Kluger models.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VVT-i for some different variants, but given the "extra's" on this "Limited Edition", it sounds like a an "Altitude" model which by definition is a "Special" edition on the Toyota Aust web site.

Before you go to any other dealers do your homework. "Bugger", for $50k+ expenditure you need to do your research dilligently and make that sales person think, and even know, that you are more informed than they are! Doesnt matter if its a Mazda, Holden or submarine the same applies!

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=25498 details how Kluger outsells Mazda (Audi didnt rate?). If the Kluger wasnt any good it wouldnt sell so dont judge a car by how much the sales person doesnt know.

If you still think the Toyota product is a "whitegood" then I hope you enjoy your Mazda or Audi :-)

I have owned Toyota's, Ford's, Mazda's, Holdens etc and now have gone full circle and realised that for quality and value, I wont buy anything but Toyota for a mainstream vehicle due to the level of product satisfaction I have had.

Good luck :)