broken timing belt!

Sharkey0

can anyone tell me if there are any dramas (DIY) involved with replacing the timing belt on a 1998 Celica 2L 16V and are any special tools involved? Cheers Darryl

If you have a basic mechanical knowledge it should not be too hard. You will need something to hold the side of the engine up as you need to remove the engine mount near the timing belt cover. a jack or stand will work.

You also need to get the crank pulley off. This can be achieved using an enormous breaker bar or pry bar, but it's just easier with a pulley removing tool (eg: Repco) and an air impact hammer.

edit: there's a few miscellaneous things you might want too, such as a timing light and some white paint or liquid paper to mark the positions of the other pulleys to make them easier to ensure proper alignment.

Edited by Keisari

You also need to get the crank pulley off. This can be achieved using an enormous breaker bar or pry bar, but it's just easier with a pulley removing tool (eg: Repco) and an air impact hammer.

edit: there's a few miscellaneous things you might want too, such as a timing light and some white paint or liquid paper to mark the positions of the other pulleys to make them easier to ensure proper alignment.

I've got all that done and installed a new water pump. all I need to know now is how to aligne the timing marks.Thanks guys you have been a great help.Cheers Sharkey