Intermittent starting problem

MisterB

Hi everyone,

1995 2.2 Camry 4 cl, 265,000 kms done.

The car normally runs well and starts fine. Randomly, it won't start. It turns over fine but no spark to the plugs. If left for a while (varies how long), it starts fine. This tends to happen off and on for a couple of weeks and then it goes fine for a few weeks, then back to the problem again. It doesn't seem to be heat related as I've gone several hundred kms with several pit stops and it's started fine.

The RAC came out twice but it started first time when they got there. I've left it into two garages but it won't fail to start when they have it so they say it's not possible to trouble shoot the problem. One auto-electrician has checked the computer board and it's fine. He says he can't help further.

One observation. When it fails to start, if I hit the remote immobilizer, the indicators flash twice and there is a beep as if a door is open, when there isn't. When it's starting, if I do this - the indicators flash but there is no beep or sound. I wonder is this a clue and could it be related to the security system?

I'd be grateful for any help as I'm afraid to go anywhere. The car is currently sitting in a supermarket car park as it failed to start when I came out. If I go back later, it will most likely start.

Thanks,

Hi everyone,

1995 2.2 Camry 4 cl, 265,000 kms done.

The car normally runs well and starts fine. Randomly, it won't start. It turns over fine but no spark to the plugs. If left for a while (varies how long), it starts fine. This tends to happen off and on for a couple of weeks and then it goes fine for a few weeks, then back to the problem again. It doesn't seem to be heat related as I've gone several hundred kms with several pit stops and it's started fine.

The RAC came out twice but it started first time when they got there. I've left it into two garages but it won't fail to start when they have it so they say it's not possible to trouble shoot the problem. One auto-electrician has checked the computer board and it's fine. He says he can't help further.

One observation. When it fails to start, if I hit the remote immobilizer, the indicators flash twice and there is a beep as if a door is open, when there isn't. When it's starting, if I do this - the indicators flash but there is no beep or sound. I wonder is this a clue and could it be related to the security system?

I'd be grateful for any help as I'm afraid to go anywhere. The car is currently sitting in a supermarket car park as it failed to start when I came out. If I go back later, it will most likely start.

Thanks,

The ignition coilss on the 5SFE are notorious for going bad, especially on the revision II engine (the one your car has) I would be looking at a new coil assembly.

Might even be the Immobiliser not disarming correctly..

There is a way u can disengage the Immobiliser just to test it out, not sure how to do it though. :(

Thanks for both of the suggestions....

I think it is the immobiliser. I trawled around on this forum and found other references on how to turn off the immobilizer by putting the hand controller into a slot in the glove box. That seems to have done the trick. At least for now. The thread also said that if you open the car and put the key in the ignition, the immobilizer will turn itself off after 30 minutes. That would explain why the car seemed to start again if you waited for a while...like waiting for the RAC!

So Thanks for the suggestions and I'll post again to say if it works consistently in case anyone else needs the info.