polishing and porting headers

Hey guys and gals,

New to the forums, and from what Ive read in the past few months, you people sure know a thing or two about advice and the odd modification.

As you an see in the post description, I'm inquiring about porting and polishing headers. I have no mods done to my '05 sportivo, however I'm looking to start. I had a look at most of the CAI options that have been posted before, but it seems that most of the people i speak face to face with suggest that extractors will reap better gains. This lead me to do research on extractors and before you knew it i was on a page about polishing and porting headers vs extractors. I'm based out of Sydney, so any help with suggesting performance shops/mechanics would be a great help, as well as any other input in general about the situation.

Sorry for the newbie questions, but hey we gotta start somewhere.

Thanks in advance,

Eddie.

An extractor on the 2zz don't gain much for the money spent, if they have gains at all (PPE are the only mob with evidence). Go with porting the manifold (header is such an american term). CES Racing up in Brisbane keep stock of ported and cermaic coated manifolds for exchange if you want it quickly. Cost is a bit higher due to the coating. Some Sydney and Melbourne members can recommend workshops in those cities if that helps more. Being a Sportivo the manifold must come from a march 2003+ build engine (not chassis) due to a head update occuring with the addition of air injection for the American market. We didn't get air injection so require the tabs on the manifold to block off the extra holes in the head.

Thanks heaps super dave,

So porting the manifold/header is the way to go rather then porting and polishing it. Are there other versions of manifolds other then the ceramic coated ones, or do you just believe that the ceramic coated on gives you the best gains?

Also, does it mean if i do choose to go the path of porting a ceramic manifold, would it be better bang for your buck to do that then getting TRD extractors (or any extractors for that matter) put in, or is that something completely different?

Also, in terms of the torque curve, by putting the extractor or porting the manifold, is there any loss of torque throughout the power band?

Eddie.