Upgrade Kluger speakers

Happs

Hi All,

I have just taken delivery the new MY11 Kluger Grande. I really like the stereo/map interface so I'm not looking to change/upgrade the head unit (other than adding an iPod unit), but the speakers could be better.

If I replace just the speakers with better quality 3-way ones, but use the existing the head unit to power them, would I achieve much of a difference or better sound with them?

I'm really just looking to get more clarity and volume out of them, not something resembling a full custom car audio installation or sub type set up.

Cheers.

better quality speakers will sound better, i'd go splits as nothing else compares to them and maybe even a little dynamat in the doors the difference will be noticable and you can buy door kits to keep the price cheap.

you dont have to spend alot to make it sound better i've been meaning to do our grande but it's getting the time but better sound would be nice as the stocko speakers seem to give minamul sound quality.

I been looking to upgrade those rubbish speakers too! Does anyone know whats the output rating on the stock head unit?

My plan is to upgrade the speakers 1st, follow by an Alpine amp if needed.

This is what I will install.

Alpine MRP-F300

It's nice and small should fit under the driver seat without a problem and its not over the top like "fully sick subwoofer"! They are design to work with factory HU.

I am trying to find out exactly the same thing! Unless I'm going blind I cannot find any reference to the speakers or head unit power anywhere in the user manual??!!

I too will start with speakers, then add an amp if needed, but I'm hoping not to have to, I just want a reasonable increase in clarity and power, nothing too crazy.

I also read on a few forums that the Highlander (US version of the Kluger) has pre-drilled or pre-fab holes in the front and rear doors for 6x9" speakers (though I think 4" or 6" speakers are currently in there?). If that's true the install would be easy and 6x9's would give reasonable bass. A pair or quad 6x9" 3-ways in the Kluger would be pretty awesome :D But again I can't find any info about it anywhere for the Kluger!!! <_<

Edited by Happs

Here are the JBL speakers: http://www.toyotajbl.com/highlander/

It indicates 6x9" as standard in the front doors, as do these:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/4/646251.html

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/speakers/491098-need-advice-install-2010-highlander-w-no-sub.html

But I wouldn't be surprised if there was some sort of plate required!! Thanks for the link.

So confused, and there's still a distinct lack of local info on the Klugers audio system...

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered some JL Audio and they finally arrived yesterday. Took the door apart and found out that Toyota will need special plate for after market speakers. I know some people have cut out the original speaker and reuse the plate but I'm reluctant to do so just in case I want to put them back one day. Not a fan of the good old MDF plate and local shops quoted $90 per pair per installation so buying an adapter plate will the cheapest way out.

I have found a place in US

Link

(Search for 2009 Highlander)

Works out to be $70 delivered for front and rear set. More $$$.... :o

Edited by AD8

• 5 months later...

A few months on and I haven't yet done anything with the speakers and audio quality.

Has anyone fitted new speakers now, and how has it improved the sound?

With the popularity of the MY11 Klugers' I'm hoping speaker installs will become more common so places like JB's will offer it at a reasonable price.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey guys. Just about to do a semi major install with Alpine KTP-445U to up the power output from (i think) 18w per channel to 45w per channel. Also installing a Highway 300Di to have Digital Radio and also Iphone connectivity. Also looking seriously at upgrading all speakers with Focal's and about to purchase their underseat Sub, Focal iBus 20 or 2.1, but haven't quiet decided on how much to spend. But an extra hundred for a 2 ch 55w amp sounds good.

From reading other forums and looking at pics, i'm thinking of installing Dynamat or Roadkill to soundproof the doors and then a baffle (space permitting) so the speaker is completely sealed.