96 Camry Coilover Help

arpi82

Hello all. Thanks in advance for any help here.

I have decided to purchase a set of 17X7 rims and know that I will need to do suspension at the same time.

So I really need to know what you guys would recommend (keeping in mind budget) for this application.

I wouldn't want to spend more than $1,000 to $1,200 on a new set.

Now I would prefer a set of damper adjustable coil-overs but am open to pre set configuration suggestions also. I will have kids in the car and can't have it too tight. Plus I live in Sydney so consider the poor roads.

Thanks.

Even on the softest setting, a coilover is going to be rough as guts.

It's going to range from: Oh my god this is so rough I want to kill myself to Oh my god this is so rough I am so close to killing myself.

Even on the softest setting, a coilover is going to be rough as guts.

It's going to range from: Oh my god this is so rough I want to kill myself to Oh my god this is so rough I am so close to killing myself.

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the help.

I saw a post you made to someone else relating to KYB excel-G suspension. How much would that be? Website didn't give any indicative pricing. This might be another option as I can't have the car so stiff and need it to drop slightly due to having 17" rims on there. I don't mind not being able to adjust settings, even though that would be desirable, this pre-set option looks like it could be the way to go till the kids are a bit older and can handle something more solid.

Thanks so much.

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the help.

I saw a post you made to someone else relating to KYB excel-G suspension. How much would that be? Website didn't give any indicative pricing. This might be another option as I can't have the car so stiff and need it to drop slightly due to having 17" rims on there. I don't mind not being able to adjust settings, even though that would be desirable, this pre-set option looks like it could be the way to go till the kids are a bit older and can handle something more solid.

Thanks so much.

Sounds like you use the car regularly as a people carrier so I'd say new shocks and a lowered spring would be best. Unless you are going to track/mountain run your car regularly, I would say the KYB excel-g shocks will be fine.

You'll notice a difference compared to standard as I'm guessing you've done more than a few km on them, so new struts will feel great.

If you go Low springs, expect to see around a 25-30mm drop with virtually no loss in ride quality. If you go superlows you'll see a further drop of anywhere 10-20mm but the ride quality will be compromised. Furthermore, you will scrape.

A pair of King springs will set you back around $150 and a pair of KYB struts will cost you around $300. You'd be looking at around $900 plus installation.

Hi Andrew,

thanks for the help.

Thanks so much.

Sounds like you use the car regularly as a people carrier so I'd say new shocks and a lowered spring would be best. Unless you are going to track/mountain run your car regularly, I would say the KYB excel-g shocks will be fine.

You'll notice a difference compared to standard as I'm guessing you've done more than a few km on them, so new struts will feel great.

If you go Low springs, expect to see around a 25-30mm drop with virtually no loss in ride quality. If you go superlows you'll see a further drop of anywhere 10-20mm but the ride quality will be compromised. Furthermore, you will scrape.

A pair of King springs will set you back around $150 and a pair of KYB struts will cost you around $300. You'd be looking at around $900 plus installation.

Thats within the budget for sure. The lows would be good as I would only need about 20mm in drop. I really don't want it too low as I need to retain performance in an emergency situation and general driving.

I really appreciate all the help on both topics.

Once I am done with the mods (Remus muffler, rims/shocks/front lip) I will post some photo's.

Cheers mate.