Largest rims for 1995 Celica

Rage

Hey guys I'm new here, just bought my first car on the weekend, its a 1995 Toyota Celica ST204R, I'm wondering what is the largest size rims I can put on the car, I was reading some where its 17-18 not sure can someone confirm or tell me.

Greatly Appreciated.

ST204..thats the 2.2L is it?

The rule of thumb is that you can safely go up 1" or 2". After this you are putting on a rim that the cars steering and suspension is not designed for.

On ST202 Celicas with a 15" stock rim, an 18" rim will make the car 'track' or 'tramline'. This means you need to apply a constant pressure on the steering wheel because if you let go the car will follow the camber of the road and steer into the ditch. Even if your car came out with 16"s - 17" is your max.

Also remember the Celica is a noisy car. Mine was quieter with 15" rims and a LOT louder with 16"s. On one review of the new Nissan 370Z with 18" rims, they said "Dont bother turning on the stereo as you wont be able to hear it above the road noise"

A 2nd point is that you will LOSE POWER! Every inch bigger is an extra kilo of weight. My 16" Toyo T1R is actually 80gms lighter than my 15" at 8.62kg. The 17" Toyo is about 9.4 kg as lower profile tyres need a thicker sidewall. This is the worst weight as it is centrifugal weight on the outside of the wheel. Thats 1.8kg x 4 (for unsprung centrifugal weight) = 7.2kg x 2 (both driving wheels) =14.4kg. This is the equivalent of losing almost 3hp which is a lot on your car

In my opinion bigger rims are dangerous. Sure a low profile tyre 'might' give you better handling around a flat, dry corner in the city..but if the road has even the smallest bumps the wheel will start to skip and fly off the road, esp. in the wet. A car like an Evo or Altezza has particular suspension and set up to allow it to run a 17" rim.

I think the rim dealers like to sell them as then they get to provide more replacements when people hit curbs

Edited by Excalibur

i bought mine with 17" 20kg chromes and its was a **** nightmare, car handled and turned like a dog, would scrape in the wheels arches over the smallest bumps and made driving no fun. i went and bought 16"s none chrome and they are bloody awesome and look great too.

Im surprised your 17's scraped ..were they 17 x 7.5? I think they must have been wider or maybe the wrong offset, or lowered more than 20mm?

I drive like a maniac. My 15's would sometimes sway under hard braking at very high speeds. But the 16's I have dont seem to move at all, tho I have lightened my car a lot.

Get the weight of any rims you are thinking of buying. I carry a set of digital bathroom scales into the shop when I look at rims or a new tyre. I was going to get Advanti 17" F1's at 7.2kg but I got some 2nd hand Volk TE37C 16" x 7" at 5.3kg, 46 offset and 15mm spacers. Im glad I didnt get the heavier 17's

A lighter rim will turn easier, grip the road better and spin faster

I run 205/50 Toyo T1R's

Edited by Excalibur

ST204..thats the 2.2L is it?

The rule of thumb is that you can safely go up 1" or 2". After this you are putting on a rim that the cars steering and suspension is not designed for.

On ST202 Celicas with a 15" stock rim, an 18" rim will make the car 'track' or 'tramline'. This means you need to apply a constant pressure on the steering wheel because if you let go the car will follow the camber of the road and steer into the ditch. Even if your car came out with 16"s - 17" is your max.

Also remember the Celica is a noisy car. Mine was quieter with 15" rims and a LOT louder with 16"s. On one review of the new Nissan 370Z with 18" rims, they said "Dont bother turning on the stereo as you wont be able to hear it above the road noise"

A 2nd point is that you will LOSE POWER! Every inch bigger is an extra kilo of weight. My 16" Toyo T1R is actually 80gms lighter than my 15" at 8.62kg. The 17" Toyo is about 9.4 kg as lower profile tyres need a thicker sidewall. This is the worst weight as it is centrifugal weight on the outside of the wheel. Thats 1.8kg x 4 (for unsprung centrifugal weight) = 7.2kg x 2 (both driving wheels) =14.4kg. This is the equivalent of losing almost 3hp which is a lot on your car

In my opinion bigger rims are dangerous. Sure a low profile tyre 'might' give you better handling around a flat, dry corner in the city..but if the road has even the smallest bumps the wheel will start to skip and fly off the road, esp. in the wet. A car like an Evo or Altezza has particular suspension and set up to allow it to run a 17" rim.

I think the rim dealers like to sell them as then they get to provide more replacements when people hit curbs

Yeah its the 2.2L, hmm well the car came with 17inch Alloy Wheels, I want to get chromes maybe 17 but from the previous posts it seems like that would be a bad idea?

It depends what you're into. I wont say what Im into or I'll get in trouble.

17's will look good, and if its 17 x 7.5 I cant see that you would have any problems. There is plenty of space in the Celica arches. You will lose some power. About 3hp equivalent.

For road driving, performance and safety, 16's are your better option

But you can get lightweight 17's, even Volks can be got for $500 to $700 on Trade Me in NZ, and they are arguably the best rim in the world.

I like the Buddyclub SF rims. Your car should be 42 offset, but Ive just gone to 31 with no problems. Your max is about 46mm offset

Weigh those rims! You should be able to get a 17" at 7 to 7.5kg's

A lot of them weigh up to 9kg's

• 2 weeks later...

I have 18s on my Celica and have never had any dramas with handling. I am in the market for some lightweight 16 or 17s though...