5th Gen Celica SX (St184) Brake Upgrade options

Brad68

So after taking my Celi to a track day for my birthday and having an amazing time finding what the car was really capable of, unfortunately i just don't think the standard brakes were quite up to the task... Not long after i started to experience a slight shudder from warped discs and its just got worse and worse to the point where its pretty bad now..

So, with my Tax-return just arrived I figure its time for an upgrade as just replacing the standard equipment will probably not last long if intend to go back to the track anytime soon haha. I dont plan to go for super high performance as i dont want to spend all that much (saving for a beams engine swap for this celica and also a supra RZ), but if possible would like to upgrade a little and mainly avoid warped discs in future with track days on the cards. So, with this planned the current questions on my mind are this:

- Are the GT4 celica brakes any different/upgrade to the SX celica brakes? Would they be less prone to warping?

- If they are any upgrade, can they fit into the standard 15in wheels diameter? (Just for when i feel like it i still use the original wheels now and then, but i mostly use my aftermarket 17inch rims with plenty of room for upgrade)

- What can anyone recommend for the front brakes?

- What can anyone recommend for the rear brakes and what will/can happen about the drum handbrake system thats mixed with the disc brake?

Im gonna look around on the net as well but I just thought I would get some opinions and see what people can tell me here?

Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers

So after taking my Celi to a track day for my birthday and having an amazing time finding what the car was really capable of, unfortunately i just don't think the standard brakes were quite up to the task... Not long after i started to experience a slight shudder from warped discs and its just got worse and worse to the point where its pretty bad now..

So, with my Tax-return just arrived I figure its time for an upgrade as just replacing the standard equipment will probably not last long if intend to go back to the track anytime soon haha. I dont plan to go for super high performance as i dont want to spend all that much (saving for a beams engine swap for this celica and also a supra RZ), but if possible would like to upgrade a little and mainly avoid warped discs in future with track days on the cards. So, with this planned the current questions on my mind are this:

- Are the GT4 celica brakes any different/upgrade to the SX celica brakes? Would they be less prone to warping?

- If they are any upgrade, can they fit into the standard 15in wheels diameter? (Just for when i feel like it i still use the original wheels now and then, but i mostly use my aftermarket 17inch rims with plenty of room for upgrade)

- What can anyone recommend for the front brakes?

- What can anyone recommend for the rear brakes and what will/can happen about the drum handbrake system thats mixed with the disc brake?

Im gonna look around on the net as well but I just thought I would get some opinions and see what people can tell me here?

Any input would be appreciated!

Cheers

GT4 brakes are not an upgrade (unless you can find the rare twin-piston fronts) I would be inclined to get good slotted rotors and pads to suit.

if you wanted to go futher, gen 4 V6 camry brakes can be fitted, but it requires new hubs, front struts, calipers, rotors, wheels (stock will no longer fit due to changed stud pattern), etc, etc.

Yea alrightey well the Camry option doesn't sound to great, as i just did shocks and springs upgrade in January and also its a hassle. Having had a good look around the net, getting some slotted rotors from DBA seems like a good option?

However ive read plenty about their DBA4000 series cracking at the little sots on the egdes of the rotor.... http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/topic/186532-are-you-cracking-dba-rotors/page__st__40

Might just go with the Slotted version of the "Street Series" depending on what people say on how they would handle the occasional track day? http://www.dba.com.au/street-series

And then top it off with some EBC Green/Red/YellowStuff pads http://www.ebcbrakes.com/selector.shtml

GT4 brakes are not an upgrade (unless you can find the rare twin-piston fronts) I would be inclined to get good slotted rotors and pads to suit.

if you wanted to go futher, gen 4 V6 camry brakes can be fitted, but it requires new hubs, front struts, calipers, rotors, wheels (stock will no longer fit due to changed stud pattern), etc, etc.

Thanks for your fast and always pro answers mick ;)

That Celica workshop manual you posted up as well has been an amazing help!