ZRE Modifications

Squire

Hi All,

I have read through the ZRE FAQ - it is quite good. I have some extra questions:

1. I am interested in some cost-effective performance modifications for my ZRE. The usual stuff - cold air, extractors, maybe even chip/tune/edit or whatever the corollas have. My question is - has anyone done this and gotten better fuel economy out of it? I am not interested in top-end power, low- to mid-range torque is my game. Oh an economy.

2. I see there are throttle controllers available. I come from a world where motors start at 200 cubic inches and have fuel delivery into the throttle body - so throttle response is generally exacting and linear. I find the ZRE's electronic throttle a bit disappointing, it having a centimetre of travel before a burst of accelleration. What have people's real-world experiences in attaching these throttle controllers to their cars? Have you managed to get precise, linear throttle responses from them?

TIA

Squire.

CAI or SRI + Headers + upgrade exhaust piping (2") + hi-flow muffler + Unichip piggyback ECU = power. Check Ben Yips ride thread. He's pushing 86.6kw tuned for mid-range power/throttle response which after driving his car i felt a definite improvement through the revs.

Pretty much most of the mods you can do still staying in the N/A format. If you want you could take a risk and go bigger injectors, fuel pump etc etc. Which then you might want to start doing some internal work.

Im not so sure if you'll have improved economy because with performance mods you'll be pushing your engine harder and therefore burn more fuel regardless of what you do. Although a CAI and a decent exhaust system will help the engine breathe much better. Maybe with a AFC (Air/fuel controller) the A/F ratio can be tuned to run more optimal.

Dont expect very high gains from these mods though, although mid-range throttle response will be significantly improved where the drive-by-wire 'laggyness' has always been felt. Which is all you really want isnt it.

I wouldnt really bother with any throttle controllers but if your really keen on it then there is a Blitz Throttle controller available for the ZRE.

Goodluck.

I've got throttle controller and the difference is really noticeable. Accelerator pedal is more responsive when I press/depress it and the acceleration time is faster. Car feels a lot better too. I can recommend you this device :)

Ah rightio, thanks gents.

Yes ben yip's thread is pretty good. I'll certainly be looking into doing some of his mods to my ZRE in the future.

Also with fitting an Auris badge - do you just pop out the old toyo badge and pop in the new one? Or can you change the whole grille on the sedan to something a bit cooler?