Kluger on the beach

Ryanocer

I have recently started taking our AWD Kluger off road. Had no problem taking it through bush at Wellington Dam WA and handles well on gravel roads but on our last outing on the beach North of Perth we had some trouble getting through soft sand. I know that the Kluger is not a proper 4WD but does anyone have any tips on how to drive a Kluger in soft sand. It travelled well while the beach was flat but as soon as I reached a slight embankment close to the shore line as I tried to pick up the revs to get up it the car started beeping and the engine lost power and the accelerator cut out. After friends of mine got me out of the mess I backed up the beach and tried again. The same thing happened as the car gained momentum and I started to climb the embankment the engine lost all revs and the car was bogged again. Gave up in the end and ended up going to Wedge Island North of Lancelin instead where the sand on the beach is a lot firmer. If anyone has any tips on driving a Kluger on the beach they would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention that a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee was getting bogged in the same spot so my Kluger wasn't doing too badly considering the circumstances.

Edited by Ryanocer

yeah mate, there should be a traction control button on your dash just around your left knee height. Push and hold it for 5 seconds and the traction and stability will be turned off. There will be a orange symbol come up in the tachometer area just at the bottom which shows you it is turned off. This wheel help as when it is on, it detects the wheels are spinning and applies less power or derates you motor thus allowing traction. Once you have turned it off you should have no problems. Once you have stopped and turned off the engine, when you restart you will need to do the procedure again and turn the traction and stability off again.

I have a 2011 KXS Kluger and I have taken it on Bribie Island, Fraser Island and Double Island and have no problems. To the amazement of people who have larger four wheels drives they are quite capable on the beach to a certain extent. I have had to Landcruisers and have been four wheel driving throughout Queensland for 15 years so a liitle experience may haved helped. I wouldn't be taken one to the Simpson desert, but just for getting on and off the beach and some inland tracks and through high tide soft sand you should not have any dramas with it as long as you keep your momentum up. Don't stop in the soft stuff as you will probably not be able to drive off again being lower than a standard 4WD.

I travel with a few mates one which has a Prado and the other a 200 series just to be on the safe side when venturing a fare distance of the main tracks.

just like dk78 turn off stability/tractioon control. This then wont cut your engine power. However, i found when i had the kluger as soon as you get onto an off camber angle as one wheen looses grip, it tends to spin that wheel only, so a little momentum will also help.

• 10 months later...

I have recently started taking our AWD Kluger off road. Had no problem taking it through bush at Wellington Dam WA and handles well on gravel roads but on our last outing on the beach North of Perth we had some trouble getting through soft sand. I know that the Kluger is not a proper 4WD but does anyone have any tips on how to drive a Kluger in soft sand. It travelled well while the beach was flat but as soon as I reached a slight embankment close to the shore line as I tried to pick up the revs to get up it the car started beeping and the engine lost power and the accelerator cut out. After friends of mine got me out of the mess I backed up the beach and tried again. The same thing happened as the car gained momentum and I started to climb the embankment the engine lost all revs and the car was bogged again. Gave up in the end and ended up going to Wedge Island North of Lancelin instead where the sand on the beach is a lot firmer. If anyone has any tips on driving a Kluger on the beach they would be greatly appreciated. I should also mention that a brand new Jeep Grand Cherokee was getting bogged in the same spot so my Kluger wasn't doing too badly considering the circumstances.

Hi Ryanocer, I'm gonna start taking my Kluger to the beach as well. I'm planning a trip to Fraser Island later on the year and I've been reading a lot about beach driving and Fraser Island. Intend to do a couple of practice trips to Bribie and probably Inskip Point. Just wanted to ask you, when you got bogged and got recovered by your mate, where did you pull your Kluger from. I was going to get a snatch strap and shackles but then found out in the forums that the towing points in the Kluger shouldn't be used as recovery points as they're are not rated. So, what do we do in the event of getting bogged in the soft sand?

Hi Ryanocer, I'm gonna start taking my Kluger to the beach as well. I'm planning a trip to Fraser Island later on the year and I've been reading a lot about beach driving and Fraser Island. Intend to do a couple of practice trips to Bribie and probably Inskip Point. Just wanted to ask you, when you got bogged and got recovered by your mate, where did you pull your Kluger from. I was going to get a snatch strap and shackles but then found out in the forums that the towing points in the Kluger shouldn't be used as recovery points as they're are not rated. So, what do we do in the event of getting bogged in the soft sand?

Hi Fherre. Yeah, the eye bolt which screws into one of the holes located either side of your bumper (under pop out covers), are not rated recovery points. But I'm pretty certain the hooks underneath the rear are. Looking at my owner's manual on page 383, it talks about recovery should your Kluger gets stuck in mud, sand etc.

Thanks Ryanocer. They should've changed it as my manual doesn't mention the hook points at the back. But after having dug all the sand around the tyres, a small pull with the snatch strap from the screw towing eyelet shouldn't do any damage, would it? I'm gonna get myself a pair of MaxTraxx and hope for the best, I guess... :g:

• 2 months later...

Hi Ryanocer, Just came back yesterday for a 7days holiday from Fraser Island. We stayed in Eurong Beach and we've been to different places like most of the lakes and up to Champagne pool without any trouble and we don't even get bogged for 7days driving around the Island. Newbie is right just turn off TRC and VSC control, 20psi tyre pressure and drive with momentum esp on the soft sand and you'll be fine.

• 2 years later...

Gday all

Good advise guys

Yeah, took me a while to find the traction control button. if you hold it in shortely it will disable traction and it will turn off at 20 mph (or some speed near that). But, if you hold it in for longer it will stay on permantly till you turn it off. Also, setting the "snow" button to the on position helps. The throttle response is gentler and more controlable. I actually use the Snow mode around the city to get much slower throttle response (like a normal Car)

I bought myself 2 Maxtracks and they worked so good that I bought 2 more on special and I've used them. Doubled up they're supposed to be strong enough to allow you to drive across small gulleys (haven't tried that yet)

Also I bought an extra front eye bolt from the net (Rumania I think) plus 2 shackles and a short tow strap. My idea being to divide the load between the two eyebolts if I need a tow out. Haven't so far. You can gently pull a Kluger but NO snatching. Maxtracks and a gentle tow have got me out of a bogged situation.

Oh yeah, get yourself a shovel. My Maxtracks, shovel and tow straps all fit behind the rear seat as if you move them forward a bit.

Also I'm going to buy a hitch reciever to fit into the Reese towbar for being pulled out backwards.

Now lets see who gets bogged!

regards

Doug

PS the plastic skid plates are useless and will probably get crushed the first time you bottom out especially the front one.

I've had much fun fabricating a multi layer front aluminium and steel skid plate over the last few months to replace the smashed plastic rubbish. It works well. I'm working on one to protect the petrol tank at the moment. I've also made a tiny one to protect the front of the muffler after I smashed it in on a rock.

Pedders also quoted me $1800 to supply and fit a 2 inch lift kit.I'm thinking seriously about it.

Edited by DougS