Intro

McCardigan

G/day all, have just joined your forum and here is my intro.

Bought a 2000 4.2 Diesel Troopie, just over a week ago in Coen FNQ, to solve a transport problem.

I currently have a 1991 2.4 Hilux 4x4, owned since new, and now sits with over 500,000kms on it.

My problem arose when my BMW K1100 sidecar burnt a valve coming out of Adels Grove, limped into Cairns on 3 cylinders. I was heading to Bramwell Station to attend a bi annual m/c rally. Organised a hired 2011 Troopie from Meteor Rentals so I could continue north. It was a Turbo V8, what a wepon, except for the fuel consumption, spent over a thousand dollars on fuel from Cairns to Bramwell and back for 3500kms. Buggar me!

In Coen I noticed an add for a 4.2 diesel Troopie with all the extra's that you expect from FNQ. (9000lb Warn winch and bullbar, snorkel, dual batteries etc, so I bought it, which helped me and a mate get his bent bike and 2 Troopies back to Cairns.

Problem solved, he rebuilt his bike and rode back to Sydney, I could not buy a suitable trailer to haul the outfit back to Vic, so I put it on a freighting company and drove the 4.2 home, with the only problem being an apparent lack of glow plug firing and lack of starting once I got down south into colder temps. And the fact that a 4.2 Diesel couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding.

So I have 2 questions.

A good, Toyo diesel mechanic/shop in east Gippsland, I'm in Stratford.

And I suppose the eternal question, how do I get better preformance especially on being to overtake in safety on the highway travelling at 100/110kph, without suffering poor fuel consumption such as that of the Turbo V8.

Any suggestions/tips appreciated