2000 corolla cv joint / melbourne mechanic?

Hi Everyone,

I'm a new user here, looking for some advice concerning a tick-tick-tick from the front passenger side of my partner's 2000 corolla.

It sounds like classic cv joint to me as it really only happens during cornering or occasionally while braking. However it only starts once the car's warmed up, it all sounds fine while the car's cold.

I had a good look while I was under the car changing the oil yesterday and the boots all look intact and in quite good condition. No sign of grease sprayed around them, that's for sure.

I did try turning the wheels by hand and could hear a bit of a clunk each time I changed direction that sounded much more like it was coming from the passenger side inner cv than from the autobox, but I couldn't be certain on that. Is there anything else I could check to be more sure of the problem?

I'm not certain I want to change this myself, partly because I haven't really got definite confirmation it's the cv joint, but also because I don't really have all the tools to do the job properly.

Does anyone know a decent mechanic around the inner northern suburbs of melbourne? There's so many around I just have no idea who to trust. Anyone had their cv joints and/or drive shafts fixed to know what it should cost?

Thanks,

Andrew

Just to follow up, we took it to W E Automotive in West Melbourne. Michael there couldn't be certain it was the cv joint for the same reasons I was unsure; boots were fine, no noise when cold and occasional clunk on braking as well as the turning.

But he couldn't find anything else out of place in the region, so changed the drive shaft in the hope that it was indeed the cause, and yep, noise is all gone (touch wood).

He was great, highly recommended. Only charged $170 all up.

Andrew

Not bad did he put a Reco shaft or just did the cv?

Sorry I didn't see the post earlier I would of jumped on the cv suggestions straight away! Ticking while turning right at a round about would be your left cv, and turning left would e your right cv.

Just because the cv boot isn't split doesn't mean it's not noisy..