First post, first problem? Hi, BTW.

PsychoNavigator

Hi all!

Just bought a used 2007 Kluger and while doing a test drive everything appeared to be fine, however while driving it home from Melbourne (We live about two hours out), my wife noticed an electrical noise that only appears above a certain speed. It appears to emanating from the speakers; However, this occurs both when the stereo either is on or off. The sound disappears when the car is slowed down to driving slowly in residential areas or a complete stop.

Any clue what could be the cause of this and/or what I could do to try and isolate the issue?

Thanks in advance.

Hi, this is just a thought, in terms of your description of the problem...I have never experienced this in my kluger, but I did initially have what you described when an after-market mobile phone hands free unit was fitted to my Camry. The controller unit had to be moved to stop ignition noise (similiar to what you described) being feed out of the handsfree speaker which was mounted under the dash (mine was on the steering column, but that is at the installer's descretion).

Based on your description of the problem (considering it happens whether the stereo is on or off), I'm wondering whether a handsfree unit has been left in the car and not removed, because it would switch on with the ignition and could make the noise.

It is just a guess, but a possibility..best to find the source of the sound, perhaps by turning the car on and reving it a bit if you can...or just having a good look under the dash for any sign of a black handsfree speaker...if you find one, the quickest way to stop the noise would be just to remove the speaker. If it was bought from a dealer, and you find a kit, I'd get them to remove the whole kit, if a private sale, an auto-electrician could quickly remove it.

Good Luck, it will be interesting to know what you find

*Wife hijacking this thread.

The sound is best described as a static noise IMO. It seemed to disappear when the car was on but stopped and wasn't noticable until I got to around 45kms and got worse when I was driving faster.

I turned the volume of the stereo up and down, changed from radio to cd & back and turned the unit off and the noise persisted.

It seemed to come from the front speakers but I'll need to go for a drive as the passenger & try and work out if it's all of the speakers or only certain speakers while not driving myself (my hearing is better than the hubbys so I'll have a better chance of checking this)

He's actually in the process of pulling the stock stereo out now & putting in our Pioneer we used in our old car so it will be interesting to see if this removes the issue.

We'll check tomorrow when it's light out and see if there are any hidden extras under the dash like you mentioned as well.

Further results of our checking should be posted sometime tomorrow. Hopefully we figure it out sooner rather than later. It was driving me nuts.

Interestingly enough. Just getting rid of the stock stereo seems to have fixed it. I put in my old Pioneer single DIN in with a harness, and gave it a go. Having no luck in trying to reproduce the issue. Seems odd that it would cause noise, maybe it has to do with the steering wheel controls?

Obviously that's not something I can plug in to my aftermarket. I'm debating on buying one of the axxess modules to give me that control back, as I do have some sort of wired remote plug in the back of the stereo. If that brings back my static issue then I know where its' coming from.

That is good news, it seems unusual it was the original stereo, because it means something in the factory stereo went faulty. In my experience of Toyota's most of the problems over the years are in after market products...the only electrical problem I have ever had was an airbag sensor unit going faulty on my 2002 Camry...but I travel across dirt roads every day.

Thanks for the update