Transfer case oil leak

Tim the tool man

My KXR has 95 k on the clock. It has a persistent oil leak coming from the transfer case extension housing seal. I have replaced the seal 3 times with the last time including a speedy seal on the tail shaft yoke. Still leaking... I am now thinking a breather problem but I cant locate it. Are there any ideas out there.?

The yoke has the tiniest impression from the seal . The yoke is not a serviceable part from Toyota. The complete shaft $2700. OUCH!!!!!!

Is anyone else had this problem??

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

It's been a while since you posted (not sure if you're still on the forum) but I'm experiencing a similar thing myself. My 08 KXR AWD has been weeping from the transfer case seal since I bought it second hand just over a year ago. It was the tiniest weep but was enough for the occasional drop to sling onto the exhaust and burn, causing the most toxic smell in the cabin - to the point where all the windows have to be wound down to air out the cabin (not great with the kids in the car) The transfer case seal has been replaced twice (not by Toyota) and the driveshaft yoke coated in a sealant but still no joy. A local 4WD mechanic who have experience with Land Cruisers seem to think the issue is likely NOT the seal, but pressure building in the case. Whatever transfer case vent is installed is either not up to the task or has failed, causing pressure to build to the point where it can only escape via the seal. This hasn't been tested yet but seems plausible as the seal shoudn't fail twice. The splined shaft is not pitted, the case opening is not scored and is in good condition. Was this the outcome for you or was it somethin else?

Regards.

• 11 months later...

Hello, I use to be Tim the Toolman. Had forgotten about this post. Im  on again under a new name looking for a new solution.

I eventually fixed my transfer case leak.  I narrowed it down to weeping along the inside of the splined yoke and out a flaw in the yoke. 

Solution was to clean thoroughly and seal up the yoke expansion plug like end with a good quality  2 pack epoxy. $15 fix.  2.5 years later it's still perfect. I hope this helps someone.

• Like 1