2000 Camry wagon electric antenna problem.

TerryJay

My 2000 Camry Wagon antenna pole was severely damaged in a supermarket car park.

I purchased a new pole complete with nylon drive from the local Toyota dealer, watched the YouTube video re replacing same and proceeded with the task. The old pole and nylon drive was removed with ease as was the installation of the new one.

All works well except when the new pole reaches full extension, it continues to drive upward making a very disturbing sound. Similar happens when the pole is retracted, it drives fully retracted then continues to attempt further retraction in a very noisy fashion.

Do I need to trim the nylon drive cable or is there a problem within the drive mechanism itself ?

Advice / suggestions appreciated.

What has probably happened is that the old cable had snapped off inside the motor and it is jammed in there.

Remove the new pole/cable, remove the motor unit from the car and disassemble it (it's only half a dozen screws). Pull apart the winding drum (noting how things go back together) and make sure all remnants of the old cable is removed. Then re-assemble the motor unit back together and put it back in the car, and re-install the new pole and cable as before.

I did this a few weeks ago (with genuine parts) and it works fine 95% of the time, occasionally it will graunch for a second or two, but only on extension and only if the initial extend was interrupted (ie I turned the radio on but started the car half-way through)

When I purchased the pole and nylon drive cable the Toyota dealer said it was the same unit for a Camry as an Avalon, I'm wondering if this is not correct as the Camry is a wagon and the Avalon was only ever a sedan.

When I purchased the pole and nylon drive cable the Toyota dealer said it was the same unit for a Camry as an Avalon, I'm wondering if this is not correct as the Camry is a wagon and the Avalon was only ever a sedan.

What was the part number of the one you bought? The Avalon one is identical to the Camry for the sedan, I'm not sure about the wagon though (the retainer and motor are probably different but I'd expect the pole/cable to be the same)