Automatic Transaxle DIFFERENTIAL Fluid Fill/Check Plug

Mr Kluger

Any one performed a DIY automatic transaxle differential fluid change before? :help:

umm... im not talking about the transmission fluid you change in the pan by draining the hex bolt, undoing the pan and cleaning the magnets then filling up through the transmission dip stick tube...

but the seperate system between the front drive axles, the you drain by the different hex bolt and supposidly fill through a filler plug on the side wall of the diff housing till it starts to flow out indicating that it is full...

bty the filler hole/plug is supposed to be large enough to stick your little finger through (so you can feel the level of oil), ... apparently supposed to be changed at 40,000km intervals (Gregory's Service Manual)

I am use to the corolla manual transmission diff/gear oil that was easy... but the camry V6.... umm not sure... :help:

if anyone has an actual photo that would be great! (pictures tell a thousand words)

the sketch i have seen drscribes the fuller plug to be located perpendicular to the drain plus and sits between cooling fins on the diff... 3 fins on top of it and 2 fins below it.. i have looked and looked but couldnt find... so many other bolts mostly 12mm but nothing big enough to stick your finger into to check... dont want to undo a bolt that im not suppose to...

Cheers! :help:

Any one performed a DIY automatic transaxle differential fluid change before? :help:

umm... im not talking about the transmission fluid you change in the pan by draining the hex bolt, undoing the pan and cleaning the magnets then filling up through the transmission dip stick tube...

but the seperate system between the front drive axles, the you drain by the different hex bolt and supposidly fill through a filler plug on the side wall of the diff housing till it starts to flow out indicating that it is full...

bty the filler hole/plug is supposed to be large enough to stick your little finger through (so you can feel the level of oil), ... apparently supposed to be changed at 40,000km intervals (Gregory's Service Manual)

I am use to the corolla manual transmission diff/gear oil that was easy... but the camry V6.... umm not sure... :help:

if anyone has an actual photo that would be great! (pictures tell a thousand words)

the sketch i have seen drscribes the fuller plug to be located perpendicular to the drain plus and sits between cooling fins on the diff... 3 fins on top of it and 2 fins below it.. i have looked and looked but couldnt find... so many other bolts mostly 12mm but nothing big enough to stick your finger into to check... dont want to undo a bolt that im not suppose to...

Cheers! :help:

Ehh... i am replying to myself here... did some research on a lexus forum... here is what i found...

firstly there is a refill plug on earlire models... not on the later models since mine is a 2002 production i fall into the cost cutting version of no filler plug...

secondly... if you are still looking for the filler plug use a mirror to look where you think the plug should be... and you will find a template / cast that has been left filled ... but you should be able to see the markings...

third... since no check plug is available you cant check the level of fluid in the differential its self.. it sources atf from the tranny through a vent pipe of some sought... but doesnt circulate back into the tranny... which is the reason for the seperate drain plug...

fourth and final.. when doing your tranny do the differential (im talking V6 auto here) and fill both through the tranny dip stick pipe (using a funnel) measure what you take out and put in about the same amount...

shift from park through to first and back (shift through each gear selector slowly) then take for a spin to warm up the tranny... a fully warmed up tranny usually usually takes 20 min of normal stop start driving... check dip stick at the hot level with the engine running and gear in park and add to just below the full notch (dont over fill) and check it again the next day... (enjoy the smoother shift) :D

if anyone has a tip or comment please add... i sourced this info from other websites... not from toyota directly....

Cheers!

Picture_142.pdf

Picture_143.pdf

I have done a change on my 2001 V6 Camry(Auto) and this is how. Despite what the service manual says, I could not find a plug that would drain the diff, and this is true of later versions of this transmission.

What I ended up doing was, drain the transmission via the drain plug, remove the transmission sump and cleaned the filter using compressed air. Replaced the filter and sump(using a new gasket), fill the transmission with new fluid using the dipstick inlet. Go for a short drive, around 5-10K, re-drain the system and then refill using a new lot of fluid, and the job is done. The reason for doing it this way is to pick up as much of the old fluid left behind after the first change the first change. Remember, short of pulling the transmission off and tipping it upside down and flushing it out, you are always going to be left with some old fluid, much the same as with and engine oil change. This method was given to me be a local transmission technician. That was three years ago at 60000K an with the next one not due till 120000K and I have not had even a hint of any problems. Sounds like an expensive way of doing it but it only cost me $40 for fluid plus cost of a new gasket. Much less than the $160plus I was quoted to do the job..

I have a factory service manual and it shows a diff drain plug but in real life mine ( and most likely yours) doesn't have one, so don't look for it.

Trust that helps.....

Edited by Topdog

I have done a change on my 2001 V6 Camry(Auto) and this is how. Despite what the service manual says, I could not find a plug that would drain the diff, and this is true of later versions of this transmission.

What I ended up doing was, drain the transmission via the drain plug, remove the transmission sump and cleaned the filter using compressed air. Replaced the filter and sump(using a new gasket), fill the transmission with new fluid using the dipstick inlet. Go for a short drive, around 5-10K, re-drain the system and then refill using a new lot of fluid, and the job is done. The reason for doing it this way is to pick up as much of the old fluid left behind after the first change the first change. Remember, short of pulling the transmission off and tipping it upside down and flushing it out, you are always going to be left with some old fluid, much the same as with and engine oil change. This method was given to me be a local transmission technician. That was three years ago at 60000K an with the next one not due till 120000K and I have not had even a hint of any problems. Sounds like an expensive way of doing it but it only cost me $40 for fluid plus cost of a new gasket. Much less than the $160plus I was quoted to do the job..

I have a factory service manual and it shows a diff drain plug but in real life mine ( and most likely yours) doesn't have one, so don't look for it.

Trust that helps.....

Thank you for the tip :D i normally change the tranny oil every 40,000km im sometimes a little hard on it so it pays to change it early... my car has been back for the complementary 1,000km service and hasnt seen a toyota dealer since... :lol: i learnt to do servicing on my old corolla and know what my friends pay when they bring it in for service... DIY saves you a whole heap on servicing costs... you get to know your car better and if you ever make a mistake you learn from it... good experience too....

Cheers!

Edited by DJ-CAMRY MCV20