1998 Hilux 2.7 petrol starting problems

turbo ninja

Hi everyone,

Brand new to this forum so please be kind! I joined because I own two Toyota vehicles and I also have a friend who needs help with his Toyota Hilux

My first question is for this friend of the family, he owns a 1998 Toyota Hilux SR5 2.7 L petrol.

He blew a head gasket and took it to a local mechanic to get it fixed. The job was completed and he went to pick up his vehicle. Unusually, the vehicle took a few turns of the key to get started. (motor was turning over for 3-4 seconds before firing, similar sound to a poor battery)

This had never happened before so he went in and asked why the car took a bit to turn over. The mechanic said it was unrelated to the job he just paid for and was too busy to look it then. So a few days later the mechanic agreed to have a look it. He could not isolate the problem. The ute now takes a few goes to start which is obviously a side effect of the repair job. (or a huge coincidence!)

The local mechanic has spent some time on it , so there is no problem or annoyance there. He just can't fix it. My friends next move is to take it to the local Toyota dealer. He is worried about being charged a fortune to look for a problem another mechanic cannot fix. This guy is a really nice person and I would like to help him out.

Has anyone got any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else?

Edited by turbo ninja