AE80 hatch Engine & gearbox upgrade

Now that I have the AE112 I've decided to put a bit of life into the old AE80 and ebay'ed another 7A-FE and 5 speed Manual to swap in for the old 2A-C. I'm not expecting this to be the easiest of transfers. I'm keen on changing the head to make a 7A-GE but that's a little down the track.

Going from the 2A-C's 48Kw and 97Nm to the 7A's 86Kw and 155Nm should be an interesting difference with the torque much lower down and much more power, it sits in current trim on the local weighbridge at 960Kg but i plan to remove alot of the interior and maybe fibreglass over.

I've also built a megasquirt board V2.2 which i've tested with a stim and is mapped ready to run the engine. Tuning will still take awhile but i should be able to gain a reasonably efficient engine. RPM limiter has been set to 8K, over 7,400 from the standard ecu.

I'm planning to post pics of the process and keep the topic up to date on my progress.

I realise the larger percentage of forum users have much newer model corolla's but i believe the older model's are still incredible cars and deserve a decent mention somewhere here.

O WAT A FEELIN :yahoo:

I agree, The older Corolla's were fantastic cars aswell, My mum had one for 15 years and no real issues (250,000km) and a friend of mine has had one in the family for close to 20 years and has done numerous trips to darwin and adelaide (close to 400,000km on the clock) and they going strong. Theres no issue with reliablilty and seeing as they are light and a more powerful engine can be put in, will also get a decent performance out of it.

Good luck with the conversions, I cannot wait to see the process unfolding.

I use to own a AE82 Twincam corolla with a jdm AE92 4AGZE :ph34r:

rear_left.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/rthy86/red82

it is the single most fun car i have ever owned, very strong motor taking 14psi and a matching strong 5speed lsd gbox :yahoo:

I think the the 7afe engine would bolt up with the ae82 twincam or ae82 subframe (4A block) only problem would be the loom.

u may also want to use the ae92 (DB308) front vented disk brakes and AE82 rear disk brakes too... (ae82 has bigger brakes)

check twincam.info for more AE82/AE92 corolla related info :idea:

Edited by rthy

• 3 weeks later...

Well i have finally received the engine complete with accessories and loom, unfortunately he didn't know what he was looking at and i now have a 4A-FE instead of the 7A. No real complaints as i'm guessing the bottom end will be alot stronger, and the change to a GE not so tricky.

Thanks go to rthy as i have sourced new disc setups for front and back. should pull up really well now, not that i ever had complaints about the original setup, i've never had a problem pulling the car up even in extreme situations on the road, but this girl is heading for the track and the anchors need to be able to take a beating.

Now work begins on ripping out the old carbed 1.3l and preparing the bay for the new engine. Will post pics in case anyone else gets keen on there own transplant.

Also received the MegaSquirt V2.2 kit and MegaStim.

After quite a few hours soldering i now have what appears to be a functional Electronic Fuel controller. Hooked up to the PC the ECU responds to all signals sent from the MegaStim, and also allows read/write ability to change Engine based variables and VE tables so for now all systems are go.

Gotta find my bluetooth adapter so i can uploads some pics from my phone, will do so soon.

Cheerz