paseo engine knock

howdy all. now i own a 91 paseo, and it has developed quite a bothersome knock in the engine. now i checked the sump and was not aware the car burnt oil or had a leak, anyway, that was a fair way down, and only touched the very bottom of the dipstick.

anyway, there is now a knock/tapping/rattle in the engine. to my ears, it is not muffled, it is clearish and sounds kind of hollow. sometimes its there, sometimes its not. i start the car, and it knocks for maybe 3 seconds, starts at about 2900 rpm in first, comes in again at about 3000 rpm in second, about 3500 in third, and have not gone fast enough to try any higher than 4000 rpm in 4th and 3500 in fifth, but i dont hear it in those gears.

so i put oil in the sump, and that seemed to stop the rattle, and i was cherful. my old man reckons its not the big ends, because he stalled it a few times on purpose, and it still holds oil pressure. got in it this morning, and it is not the same, it is lessened for sure, but still there. took it for a drive at lunch time, and it was bad, drove it home and it was not too bad...

my initial thought when i stood over the engine and heard it was around the area where the 4th plug lead joins the plug, but now i think (and hope) that it may be near the intake part near the throttle control, or in the rocker area... i am praying its not the big end.

there is also NO noticable change in engine performance whatsoever, and the engine check light does not come on any more than usual (ie when its stalled on purpose, and when all the other lights on the dash come on)

has anyone had a problem like this, or know what it could be?? its a very rapid tap, and increases in sound with the revs, but not in speed, and sounds like a hollow sort of tapping sound...

ill just edit real quick too and add that i think the sound is not coming from the bottom of the engine, more the top. maybe the timing?? there is no change in engine peformance, or any warning lights whatsoevfer

Edited by archontireq