Advice on Audio Build please?

Nogusta123

Hi Guys!

I'm new to the forum!Leasurance directed me here though from another Toyota forum!I'm starting to really like this forum and been checking it on almost an hourly basis whilst at work lol!

Right now down to business i guess.....I have almost a complete stock audio system in my 12/1998 Camry csi expect for a EOL Clarion DB_356MP I picked up about a year ago which performs well enough on its own but I like my music LOUD and with a BIT of good bass.Not really an audiophile but was wondering if you guys could help me out.

I was looking at replacing the speakers in the front doors(6" i believe?) and the 6x9"s in the rear I know very little about car audio but was looking at spending around 400-500 max and thats probably gonna have to be with installation since the furthest I've gone with audio installations is my HU in the car(which by the way I'm very proud to say i did WITHOUT a harness :yahoo: and it worked 1st go!) I don't particularly mind if its 2nd hand or off ebay or whatever but I'm hoping to get the best system I can and was looking for any suggestions you guys can offer?is this stuff any good http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi...N:IT&ih=016?

I've been seeing all these cheapie kingwood and yokohama stuff on ebay and not sure what to think....I'd prefer to keep it cheap and I'd probably be happier with just a good set of 6x9s instead of a sub as I don't like crazy doff doff stuff that you see people driving around in the sydney cbd at 3am lol

BTW I'm based in Sydney and don't mind driving a bit to pick stuff up im near the five dock area.Also if you guys think I can install it myself and can give me some advice/help ill try it :D

Thanks guys any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED! :help:

Edited by Nogusta123

If it was me i'd stay well a way from the stuff on ebay and just go the auto barn or some where like that.

For speakers i would suggest spending around $200 for a half decent set of 6''.

$100 for the rear 6x9's.

$170 on this jaycar amp for the front speakers

and $50 on wiring.

As for installation if you can wire up a hedunit you can probably do everything else.

OR

You could just leave the rear 6x9's stock (becasue the front ones are way more important )and get better 6'' for the front.

OR

You could still leave the rears stock, soend about $200 of front speakers and get this amp instead.

I'd probably lean towards this option.

I hope i haven't confused you to much :rolleyes:

Is it really worth getting an expensive amp like that to drive my stock speakers?Won't they just blow the speakers?How good are the stock speakers?Would these Kingwood or yokohama ones off ebay be any better?Which speaker brands or places should I be going?

I've been to autobahn and they seem overpriced would super cheap be cheaper?

I went to WOW sight and Sound (they always have specials) and got a pair of Fusion 6x9's and a Encounter Bass Pack and Im very happy with them :)

http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/products.php...;product_id=281

http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/products.php...;product_id=271

I went to WOW sight and Sound (they always have specials) and got a pair of Fusion 6x9's and a Encounter Bass Pack and Im very happy with them :)

http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/products.php...;product_id=281

http://www.fusioncaraudio.com/products.php...;product_id=271

How much did that set you back?and did you install it yourself?

the 6x9's cost $69 and I got them installed for $79 at WOW (Don't recomend them as they are worthless!)

The Bass Pack was $279 - And I installed this with my Boss

What is worthless the speakers or the install at WOW?

The install, they just cut the wires off the back door speakers and crimped the new wires off that to my 6x9's, but they left the existing wire exposed. I'll post a pic later

$500 max include everything/labour... + good quality? it doesnt make sence. sorry, but i m just being realistic.

$500 max, u can get sound into yr car, i agree with tat.

I did't say including everything I might not get a sub at all i might get some good 6x9s and good 6" speakers and I'll probably be happy with the bass in those with a decent amp....as I said i don't need DOOF DOFF really loud quality i only need decent quality i don't see how that isn't achievable with $500?

Also I'm asking for help so I need some useful advice!

On a really tight budget I don't think you can do much better than jaycar.

Get a small (4x50w) amp, spend the rest of the money on the best 6" speakers you can afford for the front.

After you get an amp, the speakers will be the biggest limiting factor in the car.

If you had the money I would recommend speakers like, AVI, ADS, Boston (not so great for bass), polk.

Don't go for the bling rubbish sony explode, ebay junk.

It'll end in tears.

On a really tight budget I don't think you can do much better than jaycar.

Get a small (4x50w) amp, spend the rest of the money on the best 6" speakers you can afford for the front.

After you get an amp, the speakers will be the biggest limiting factor in the car.

If you had the money I would recommend speakers like, AVI, ADS, Boston (not so great for bass), polk.

Don't go for the bling rubbish sony explode, ebay junk.

It'll end in tears.

Yeah sony xplodes have a nasty habit of guess what.....exploding lol :D

Stay away from that Ebay Package..... :S yuk.

The selling point they try for is the power output. 1000w 6x9s? ohh hell no.

They fool you by telling the PMPO output (power music peak output) which means nothing what you want to look at is the RMS rating.

Unfortunately with audio gear you kinda get what you pay for so the cheap usually sounds and performs cheap. (sony = average to bad)

As for head unit make sure it plays all you want to play (MP3) and if you can afford it get something with a 5v pre out or maybe 3v because this will give a good strong signal to the amp esspecially if it has to travel the length of the car. when looking for bass also not the Box spefications and also the cone depth will change the punch of the sub and these days the Duel Voic coils are the way to go for subs. I would also make sure the Front Splits and the head unit are the Best Items you buy as they will effect you the most.

I hope this little bit of info will help you with your choices. (My personal favs are Focal splits, Alpine headunits & Amps and Eclipse Subs)