problem with side mirror

Mikey

my little brother threw a tennis ball and it hit my right side mirror. the glass didn't break, but the glass is facing inward and looks to be stuck in that position.

i can still move the mirror up and down, but not right and left (from the mirror control inside the car)

anyone got any suggestions?

I reckon just push on the glass til its straight again. It will make a clicking noise like a big cable tie as u push it back into place.

Note, make sure the entire assembly is in the correct position before you attempt moving the glass

I reckon just push on the glass til its straight again. It will make a clicking noise like a big cable tie as u push it back into place.

Note, make sure the entire assembly is in the correct position before you attempt moving the glass

cheers mate.

i tried that but it doesnt make any clicking noise when moving it left or right anymore (only up and down). it just goes back into the position its stuck at.

i think the glass is unhooked from the thing that moves it? i can still hear the motor when i press left or right on the control though.

Edited by Mikey

Then I would say the glass holder is unattached from the motor mechanism. You can fix this to ;)

Open up the back of the mirror with a flat head screwdriver VERY carefully (I ruined mine :P) Basically just insert the screwdriver in between the painted part and the black plastic and lever it off.. there are about 6 clips but randomly placed around the whole oval shape.

Once its off, there is 2 or 3 screws underneath (from what I remember) take these off and then you should be able to reattach the glass holder to the motor.

There's a DIY on opening the mirror on the OWF forum im pretty sure.

Then I would say the glass holder is unattached from the motor mechanism. You can fix this to ;)

Open up the back of the mirror with a flat head screwdriver VERY carefully (I ruined mine :P) Basically just insert the screwdriver in between the painted part and the black plastic and lever it off.. there are about 6 clips but randomly placed around the whole oval shape.

Once its off, there is 2 or 3 screws underneath (from what I remember) take these off and then you should be able to reattach the glass holder to the motor.

There's a DIY on opening the mirror on the OWF forum im pretty sure.

cheers buddy. i'll give it a go tomorrow or friday. will let you know how it goes. u da man.

We got it working again.

There was no way to gain access behind the glass itself without taking the thing off. Taking the cover off is pointless, leads to no where. Unscrewing the 3 bolts underneath does nothing also, just leaves it dangling. There's no way to get inside the mirror itself.

I just pushed it in hard in all directions making sure it goes pops back into the motor mechanism and whoila!

Toyota wanted to charge $425 to replace the whole thing and saying that there was no way to fix it as the legs supporting the glass were broken. Then I asked what about taking the mirror off to look behind it and his reply was "It'll automatically break once you take it out". hahaha