5s-fe

wishbone

hey guys

just wandering which celica model or models used a 5s-fe engine a setup similar to the 3rd gen camry (i got a 95 camry)..i was planning to drop my engine into a celica that has done alot of Ks(thats if its cheap), coz my 5s-fe engine has only done like 100,000ks...

Thanks guys!

ST184 and ST204 Celicas used the 5SFE engine

thanks Hiro are these the only 2 celicas that used the 5sfe engine?? and would it be just a simple drop in of my engine for everything to work right?? or would i need to do some engine bay rearrangements??

cheers!

ST184 and ST204 Celicas used the 5SFE engine

thanks Hiro are these the only 2 celicas that used the 5sfe engine?? and would it be just a simple drop in of my engine for everything to work right?? or would i need to do some engine bay rearrangements??

cheers!

You should be able to just put the engine in, since its the exact same engine (has to be a st184 or st204) as the celica it should be all properly set up.

im from australia so the prices would be much different, but i have replaced my 5sfe and then later on put in a 3sge and the 5sfe replacement cost me about AU$1200-1500 but i had to buy the replacement engine and you would already have it so you only need to pay labour?

yeah i got a friend whos dads a mechanic he can do the engine swap for me....bt if the car is not totally crap hopefully jst the engine then yeah it wld be a bargin :D

do u have pic of the celica? if it does all work out it would be good because celicas are great cars, i find them fun to drive around. good luck,

well im hoping to get a car from the wreckers it says everythings good with it...its a ST184...i mean considering its at the wreckers i aint expecting much bt the fotos look promising...im jst hoping good interior..chasis, gearbox CV joints suspension..lol basically everything except engine...lol i know im prob askin alot bt if its in tht condition ill be ready to snap up a bargin...

post-6463-1199095703_thumb.jpg

post-6463-1199095720_thumb.jpg

post-6463-1199095735_thumb.jpg

yeah that looks pretty okay. is there a way for you to get a mechanic to check the car out before you go buy it? because it will be well worth the money to do so. cos the last thing you want is to have a project car on your hands. unless you have the time/money

yeah i do have a mechanic...i was thinking at first to go the wreckers and check it out for myself...if it passes my test...then ill get the mechanic to check it out for me....yeah i dont want to have a project car to work with....

yeah thats the best you can do with a wreckers car, hopefully it is all good or only have some minor fixes, when do you plan to do all this?

lol sorry dude, i dont know what im on, this is an australian site my bad i thought it was american cos of the lack of .au on the address, i feel so stupid.

since your from australia, sydney is that car in a pickles auction?

Edited by black turkey

yeah thats the best you can do with a wreckers car, hopefully it is all good or only have some minor fixes, when do you plan to do all this?

the wrecker dude said they open back up on the 21st so i guess on the 21st...im also looking for a ST204 coz its alot newer and if i find tht cheap i will def opt to get the st204 coz my cams 95....

the wrecker dude said they open back up on the 21st so i guess on the 21st...im also looking for a ST204 coz its alot newer and if i find tht cheap i will def opt to get the st204 coz my cams 95....

thats a while to wait, well if your can also get a st204 that would be the better option cos its newer and all, i just personally prefer the st184 look.

thats a while to wait, well if your can also get a st204 that would be the better option cos its newer and all, i just personally prefer the st184 look.

yeah i like the look of the ST184 too bt its jst a lil older and my cam is built in 1995 so i think the st204 wld be better....and i heard the older 5sfe had less KW than the newer 5sfe engine....correct me if am wrong...

there wouldnt be any difference really between the both of them to put the engine in. but the st204 would better cos its newer.

there was an increase in power in 1992 when the st184 had a facelift it gained 5hp, and i think the power didnt change for the st204. but i think the celica in the wreckers is a 90 or 91 so the st204 will be faster (well have 5hp more, doubt there will be a diff) but if your putting your camry engine in there wouldnt be a difference. i think the camry had a little less power than the celicas ill try find something to show you

ok here are some specs (from redbook)

1990 celica has 99kw and 194nm torque. http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...s.php?id=104331

1993 celica has 100kw and 194nm torque http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...s.php?id=104812

1995 celica has 100kw and 196nm torque http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...s.php?id=105159

1995 camry has 93kw and 189nm torque. http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...s.php?id=105278

but still i seriously doubt your will notice a difference between your camry engine in either of those.

Edited by black turkey

there wouldnt be any difference really between the both of them to put the engine in. but the st204 would better cos its newer.

there was an increase in power in 1992 when the st184 had a facelift it gained 5hp, and i think the power didnt change for the st204. but i think the celica in the wreckers is a 90 or 91 so the st204 will be faster (well have 5hp more, doubt there will be a diff) but if your putting your camry engine in there wouldnt be a difference. i think the camry had a little less power than the celicas ill try find something to show you

ok here are some specs (from redbook)

1990 celica has 99kw and 194nm torque. http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...s.php?id=104331

1993 celica has 100kw and 194nm torque http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...s.php?id=104812

1995 celica has 100kw and 196nm torque http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...s.php?id=105159

1995 camry has 93kw and 189nm torque. http://www.redbookasiapacific.com/au/vehic...s.php?id=105278

but still i seriously doubt your will notice a difference between your camry engine in either of those.

thanks mate...maybe i shld jst sell my camry and then buy a decent celica....wat do u think???...bt didnt the camry and celica use exactly the same engine???i just thght celica used the camry engine but added a better exhuast and intake system....hmmm now im having second thoughts....Thanks bro for the info...if i still get the celica for cheap ill go with it...bt if i think i can sell this cam and get an st204 with good mileage on it then i think i might end up doin tht...wat do u think???

cheers

lol sorry dude, i dont know what im on, this is an australian site my bad i thought it was american cos of the lack of .au on the address, i feel so stupid.

since your from australia, sydney is that car in a pickles auction?

haha thts okay mate...nah its at casuala auto dismantlers... http://www.autotrader.com.au/iteminfo/adnu...p;+Accessories_

i checked pickles out and they had an st204 bt im guessin its gonna go close to 10gs or above....

Edited by wishbone

thanks mate...maybe i shld jst sell my camry and then buy a decent celica....wat do u think???...bt didnt the camry and celica use exactly the same engine???i just thght celica used the camry engine but added a better exhuast and intake system....hmmm now im having second thoughts....Thanks bro for the info...if i still get the celica for cheap ill go with it...bt if i think i can sell this cam and get an st204 with good mileage on it then i think i might end up doin tht...wat do u think???

cheers

The celica probably does make the extra power through a exhaust etc, it makes sense.

I do think you should sell the camry and get a decent celica because: Although swapping these engines around is pretty safe to do, there are ofcourse things that can go wrong, if you get a decent celica, its all set up ready for you to go it will be (i think) a lot better and more reliable option than to risk having difficulties with the engine swap. and im pretty sure if your camry is in good condition you can sell it and have the majority, if not all of the money to buy a decent celica.

But yeah if the celica is the right price its still worth while doing what you planned. sorry about making you unsure....

thanks mate for the advice...i think ill be doin tht soon..im gettin new engine mounts into my cam and then ill sell it and see how much anyone wants for it...i have seen some st204 with bodykits for like 8gs but they have done alot of Ks (like 250ks+) my camrys only done 103ks so thts y i thght engine swap wld be good coz i wldnt have to worry abt doin a rebuild netime soon...bt like u said there could be complications with the swap...so im gonna take ur advice...thanks again....

and no u didnt make me unsure abt nething...u just opened up another option and it was a better alternative...THANKS BRO!

Edited by wishbone

btw...i do like the look of the st184 way better than the st204 or ne other celicas...esp the headlights...it wld look mean with a nice bodykit....bt the prob is its age....considering the one im lookin is like 1990 which is like 18 yrs old im worried abt all the mechanical probs ill be facin later on down the track...and i jst want to beef it up and not worry abt ne mechanical probs....

i can see your concern about the st184 being up to 18yrs old. and yeah that is getting to about the stage where they are getting a bit dodgey. but if you can get one that has looked like its been looked after, and has resonable kms they are still pretty reliable. i would hit up carsales.com.au just to have a quick look at prices on good cond. celicas either st204 and st184.

Before i replaced my 5sfe it has 230,000 km on it and it was still mechanical sound, i replaced the engine because i got a oppertunity and getting a celica engine from a wreckers with low k's and decided i would just get it done now instead of later.

but yeah you should see how much you can sell your camry for and have a look at a nice celica. the st204 are a fair bit mnore expensive then the older ones to on average, i would think if you had a budget of say 7.5 to 10k you could get a low km well maintained st184. add another 4 grand for the st204.

No problem with helping.

Edited by black turkey

thnx mate once again...yeah i think i will sell this camry and get a well maintained st184...and considering u said an engine is like 2gs i dont think thts too expensive...hopefully the engine the st184 comes with will last me awhile before i need a new engine....ta mate for all the help ill keep u posted when i get my st184 :toast: