Differential Fill Plug

OK, so yesterday morning while nursing a bit of a hang over, I decided to change the rear differential oil in my 1992 Hiace 2.4L Camper for the first time in my ownership.

So I got her up on the ramps and opened the drain no problem. Then I tried to open the fill plug and the sod is stuck tighter than you know what. So a trip to the DIY store to get a gas blow torch and add some heat did nothing. Now the fill plug is rounded and stuck solid.

Remember - undo the fill plug before opening the drain...

Anyway, for now, I don't have the time to try to get one of those bolt removal sockets to shift it or weld a nut on to extract it, etc. so here's what i did...

I got along piece of flexible pipe and managed to tighten it up in to the drain hole, so it was just about leak tight. Then I put a funnel on the other end and fastened it high up outside the camper. Then over the next hour or so, very slowly managed to pour the 2.2 litres of oil (plus a bit extra to allow for the volume in the pipe and the few drips I lost) upwards in to the diff. I guess that the air is displaced through the diffential breather. Then very quickly pulled out the pipe and stuck the plug back in with almost no loss of oil. So, assuming that my handbook is right and 2.2 litres is the correct amount of fluid....hopefully I wont have to look at it again for another 40,000Kms.....?

Edited by Red_V_Roger