Faulty braking system in land cruiser 200 series 2016 model

Coff D

I’ve had a previous issue with the right hand side break locking on, lights on the dash came on, car pulled to the right, very loud noise from right hand side of the car. Toyota could not find the issue first time round. When it the issue happened again on a busy main road (very scary) took the car back to toyota they found it was a break sensor/disk issue. We had to pay for the labour they paid for the part.  This was June 2022, informed Toyota they could not find the problem, it felt like they blamed me the driver, felt like an inquisition. The sudden breaking happened again September 3rd, contacted Toyota again, unsafe car finally fixed after another inquisition. 

Another random braking issue has occurred 2 weeks ago, sudden severe braking for no reason, contacted Toyota to advise, yet again another inquisition. Car is at Toyota today for a service, hoping they find the problem. 

Has anyone else had this problem? 

I have never heard of any car brake suddenly of it's own accord. So what you're saying is that whilst driving along, the right side brake engaged ? Was it a lock up or partial ?

The brakes are engaged mechanically via hydraulic fluid pressure, so the instance of it just braking on its own is rather peculiar. 

May I ask if that vehicle has been off road or more importantly waded through a river or creek ?

I do know that when the sliding pins on the calipers are dry, the calipers have a tendency to "bite" the disc quite abruptly at lower speeds. At cruising speeds it's ok. You will also have increased wear on the inner brake pad as it stays in contact to the disc more so than the outer one. I wonder if the Toyota techs checked the basic items of the caliper to make sure it's mechanically sound. Those sliding pins need to be greased periodically to enable the caliper to function correctly.

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

The brakes are engaged mechanically via hydraulic fluid pressure, so the instance of it just braking on its own is rather peculiar. 

Whilst the brake application is still mechanical/hydraulic, the actuation can be via the ABS pump (either as part of the ABS of for stability/traction control) which is electrically controlled, hence the possibility of an unintended brake application without touching the pedal (and with fully functioning calipers).

The first braking problem was due to an error with the break drum, this problem has now been fixed after 3 attempts by Toyota. I now have a new and weird breaking problem again. Unfortunately no lights on dash this time, Toyota were unable to find the problem. The sad part is the car has done only 125,000 klm we have had 3 major issues since new, Landcruisers are supported to be unbreakable, this one has done no off road, no river crossings, always serviced, well looked after at all times, we need it to tow a caravan. 

• 4 weeks later...