TOYOTA COROLLA SR5 AE95R WAGON 4x4

bean86

im looking for a new car and the Ae95r took my liking, but i dont know a thing about them! Ive found a 1989 model that im going to look at tomorow

My biggest question are they permint all wheel drive %100 of the time or are they like the subaru wagons with fwd only until you engage 4x4.

Does anyone know what the touque split is front to rear?, is it 50:50

Does it have low range?

Are there any major problems with this model i should look out for? eg rust hot spots, gear box ect

what are they like to drive? any good on the beach ect?

Any help would be great! as im going to look tomorow!

p.s heres hoping i can get it and join the toyota crew!

hey, in sa adelaide, but i go down the beach a fair but. i was looking for a subaru L series wagon, but this one cought my eye. I dont want just a corolla fwd personally i dont like them. even if i only hit the sand a few times a year i think its worth it. My future plans are to buy subaru forester. For work as well i really want a wagon.

does anyone know how the 4x4 works on the ae95? is it awd? or is it fwd and you have to engage it like in the subaru's, is there a low range?

Ive looked at alot of photos and cant see a lever to engage the 4x4 so im thinking it might be full time 4x4.

Thanks for the help! I picked it up today, run pritty well. only has 137000 kms on it which is pritty good for a 1989 car. It drives well and i was surprised how much pwr it has. It also has a diff lock button which i assume makes it 50:50 split with the pwr, im still not sure what happens when its turned off, i guess most of the pwr would go to the front wheels. Ill have to take out to a padock or beach one day and see!

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the help! I picked it up today, run pritty well. only has 137000 kms on it which is pritty good for a 1989 car. It drives well and i was surprised how much pwr it has. It also has a diff lock button which i assume makes it 50:50 split with the pwr, im still not sure what happens when its turned off, i guess most of the pwr would go to the front wheels. Ill have to take out to a padock or beach one day and see!

Hi I have an AE95R Corolla wagon GT.

In regards to you driving with the diff lock on i suggest you read your owners hand book as it says not 2 drive on sealed roads with it on as it causes transmission windup.

The corolla is a full time 4wd with 3 differntials with active torque split.

by locking the centre diff it effectively makes both front drive shaft and rear drive shafts travel at the same speed which means that as you travel around a corner the front diff would need to travel faster than the rear as the front has the larger radius.

by locking the centre diff you put strain on the transmission which increases wear and will cause premature transmission failure.

Toyota's dont have the most strongest transmissions in the first place and suggest you only engage the diff lock when you actually need it or when on a loose surface.

i have driven a fair bit in my AE95R and and noticed that unless i am bogging down in the mud, i prefer not to use the diff lock as the rear end tries to push the car around at the same speed as the front is trying to pull around. When cornering the back end wants to try and overtake the front and has once nearly put me in a high speed spin on a muddy road.

this is due to the fact that the front wheels travel a further distance than the rears when cornering and therefore need to be spinning faster than the rear wheels and diff lock is then not required.

Imagine how much tyre wear would be occurring as the car is fighting itself to get the weels to spin and slip at the same speed when on a hard surface.

Anything else please feel free to ask.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone know what the touque split is front to rear?, is it 50:50

Yes it is. There is also a lock button that locks the centre differential for proper offroad work.

Does it have low range?

No it doesn't

Are there any major problems with this model i should look out for? eg rust hot spots, gear box ect

Rust might be an issue if it's been used offroad extensively. Gearbox reportedly from people in the know have internals of the Celica GT4 so they're as tough as they come. The manuals anyway. The autos I have no idea what strength they have but have heard of 4AGZE conversions (albeit difficult conversions on a AE95) done to them.

what are they like to drive? any good on the beach ect?

Never driven one but I presume it'd be like any Corolla... i.e. safe but nothing exciting. Beachwork shouldn't be a problem but ground clearance might.

You'll find more info on toymods.net ... they are lot of technical guys over there that'll have experience with the AE95.

Edited by SmellyTofu