how do u setup a new portable hard drive?

JJCRU23R

hi, im typing this from my celfone cos my adsl is stuffd, so xcuse my spellin. I bought a 2.5inch sata usb harddisk enclosure from ebay and i put a new 80gig hd in it. My pc can recognise it as a generic usb drive with 80gig in it but it doesnt have a drive name like d: or watever. The ebay seller gave a mini cdrom with nothiing useful in it so it seems. Anyone know wat i should do 2 get it running? Thx 4 ur help in advanced

hi, im typing this from my celfone cos my adsl is stuffd, so xcuse my spellin. I bought a 2.5inch sata usb harddisk enclosure from ebay and i put a new 80gig hd in it. My pc can recognise it as a generic usb drive with 80gig in it but it doesnt have a drive name like d: or watever. The ebay seller gave a mini cdrom with nothiing useful in it so it seems. Anyone know wat i should do 2 get it running? Thx 4 ur help in advanced

Hey i figured out how 2 partition d drive thanx anyway

just in case anyone was wondering how to partition and format (for winxp):

goto- start>> control panel >> administrative tools>> computer management >> disk management, then find your HDD.

Just right click to select "create partition" and enter the Create Partition Wizard.

Follow the instructions, tick "quick format" to do the partition and format all at once.

these were the instructions I followed.

Edited by J_J

• 2 weeks later...
you can also get to that from right click on "My Computer" and manage and then "disk management" towards the bottom of the list on the left.

Thats my preffered method of getting to it saves time >.<

Edited by Seano

i have a second hard drive that was previously used in a laptop...

its already got a c:\, xp, whole lot of windows programs and unfortunately i think the laptop has passed on. i still think the hard drive has something to offer... particularly the microsoft office with all the fruit. i hooked it up to the usb adaptor and it doesnt seem to work. any way to work around this?