Supercharging old 1.3 4k

Hi everyone new to the forum.....had a quik look aroud seems like evereyone has got new model cars in here..... anyway i have a little project car which is a 76 corolla coupe..... motor is a small oldschool 4k 1.3 which is recoed.......i was thinking of replacing it with a new model motor but have not got the funds. Thinking about supercharging via the sc14 out of the later model sprinters....looks strate forward seeming there heaps of room in the bay.....anyone did it on a budget of 500 to 600 dollars???? :unsure:

Hi everyone new to the forum.....had a quik look aroud seems like evereyone has got new model cars in here..... anyway i have a little project car which is a 76 corolla coupe..... motor is a small oldschool 4k 1.3 which is recoed.......i was thinking of replacing it with a new model motor but have not got the funds. Thinking about supercharging via the sc14 out of the later model sprinters....looks strate forward seeming there heaps of room in the bay.....anyone did it on a budget of 500 to 600 dollars???? :unsure:

Mate I had a look around the net, it seems the only conversion I could find was here: http://www.supercars.net/garages/ssgroupa/3v2.html and it is VERY scarce on details, all it says is that its surprisingly quick and that its a turbo, I think it would be the normal motor in it (Simply because if you are replacing your motor why would you go for a single cam motor??).

Your best to check out the

Toymods Forum

Alot of the guys there have done similar conversions and can point you in the right direction

Or just save up and throw in a 4AGZE for much better results  :)

Cheers

Hmmm but that would take his capacity up by more than 200CC which would then need a full inspection and engineering slip and upgraded brakes. Thats a lot of hassle :P

thanks for the replies.....i decided not to go for another power plant due to funds n all the other things which will need replacing. just want to give the old motor abit more go ( keep up with traffic) lol jk i have a 5 speed manual n spooled diff which is alot of fun hehe.....

You can make a 4k go pretty hard. Get your head ported and matched manifolds, exhaust system, then get a blower off a 4agze, and use a 1.75"SU to draw through. Simple but effective and not too much of a headache to tune as there is heaps of SU needles and jets to chose from to get it running smooth. Just run about 8 pound and you'll have something fun to drive.

use a 1.75"SU to draw through.

Would it not be more effective to run twin 1 1/4 SU's?? I had a 1 3/4 on my 1100 Mini and upgrading to the twin 1 1/4 made a HUGE difference. If you stick with the single carbie will that not be a bottle neck and effectively reduce the potential of the blower to shovel the air in to the motor??.

I still reckon Turbo charging is a better option in this application. Each to their own though and I must admit, a supercharger in the thing would be much more original an idea than the good ol "Whack on a turbs" option :).

Edited by Blade Hunter