Mag wheel offset for MS83 crown custom wagon

lisian

Hi we just bought a MS83 crown custom wagon. The car has already been lowered, so now we would like to put mag wheels on it.

Its just getting the right offset. I am gathering by photo's of earlier crowns I have seen that we should be able to get 7" wheels under there.

Does anyone know the offset they have to be or does anyone know whether AU Falcon- current Falcon wheels will fit under there?

Ideally we would like to get some 16x7's or 17x7s but if we have to get 6" wheels it limits the choices a bit more.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here are a few pics of the car, it is in really good original condition, no rust and great interior.

Thanks Ian.

ebay006.jpg

ebay007.jpg

ebay008.jpg

Edited by lisian

Most Toyotas have a lip in the rear wheel arch.

I just fitted 6.5 ich to a Camry with 205x65 series tyres and when go over a big bump the tyres grind in the wheel well.

So I will have to fold or tap the lip in in the rear.

Size of tyres determines if they will hit or not.

7 inch is getting pretty big.

I have 6 inch on the GT and the lip had to be folded back.

Sometimes even the front will grab when you turn the wheel hard and go over a bump.

Edited by Steve gee

Most Toyotas have a lip in the rear wheel arch.

I just fitted 6.5 ich to a Camry with 205x65 series tyres and when go over a big bump the tyres grind in the wheel well.

So I will have to fold or tap the lip in in the rear.

Size of tyres determines if they will hit or not.

7 inch is getting pretty big.

I have 6 inch on the GT and the lip had to be folded back.

Sometimes even the front will grab when you turn the wheel hard and go over a bump.

G'day man.

Not long ago put 7 inch wheels on my ms65. no problems at rear at first, little bit of scrapin at fron t ie under heavy brake load with wheel turned etc. Chewed out 1 rear tyre when I towed my boat, so had to put stockies on to tow - BUT - since then have invested in a set of poly air springs at the back (cost $306.00)- will solve tyre scrapin on wheel arch when towing loads, and it's improved cornering immensely. lower profile tyres up front have minimalized scouring, but I intend to look at some mods up front ie airbag suspension. Mags are an older multifit chrome star type, so you're spot on in saying your choices are limited. They really set the thing off though, will post image on my profile soon.

:ph34r:

ps. mags cost me $100 at local wreckers - they're always right in front of ya. :ph34r:

Congratulations on a great buy. I saw this one for sale and thought it looked real fine.

I have an MS83 also and I am trying to find 7" rims to fit. You should try Toymods and talk to "The Stitt" and ask him what he has on his MS53 he is running 17" rims.

You will find AU-BA Falcon rims should fit if you go to 17". They have a 38 offset. Maybe Magna rims. They are about 40 offset from memory. Any smaller that 17" and they will hit the ty-rod ends. Been there, tried that.

I want to stay with 14" on mine so to get 7" rims on and under the guards at the front a 18 offset is required. That will mean getting them specially made.

Early Ford 7" rims will stick outside the front mudguards, 6" rims only just fit under. The 80 series doesn't seem to have the same mudguard clearance as earlier models. Early Ford 7" fit ok on a 65 series.

Do yuo have any other plans for the wagon or is it going to stay stock???

Cheers,

Shane.

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the replies. We ended up getting some 16x7 speedy wheels with the AU offset and we had to put 6mm spacers on the front to miss the tie rod ends.

Shane- We would have loved to put 17 or 18's on the car but just didnt have the money to spend on them. Aside from the mgas, lowered and tinted windows we are keeping the car standard it is just in so good a condition, it only has one dint and one tiny bit of rust in one of the back windows. It was a one owner and the old bloke used to polish it with turtle wax all the time even in the door jam and engine bay. The car still has a great shine with its original paint. Its only done 90,000kms oh its auto we may change it to manual with a celica 5 speed.

Heres a pic of the car now.

DSCF6383.jpg

That's looking pretty good. I'm looking to tint the windows on mine soon too.

Here's a couple of pics of mine. It got used at a wedding not long ago. I'm going to change the wheels soon. I'm thinking I might just use the ms123 factory alloys.

post-9913-1220228738_thumb.jpg

post-9913-1220228753_thumb.jpg

post-9913-1220228792_thumb.jpg

Shane- Your car looks good. It is in original condition? The window tinting makes a big difference to the cars appearance.

Can I ask what your fuel consumption is like. We are quite suprised as to how bad ours is on fuel. We only got 270kms out of a tank (well 50 litres) :angry: My wife only put normal unleaded in it not premium so it would not have burnt as well. But I have to check the car over yet and give it a tune etc. But I honestly thought that it would have been more economical than that. Thats worse than the V8 Landrover Discovery we just sold.

Cheers,

Ian.

You should get better than that out of it. But 20 - 22 mpg will be about it with an auto. You would get a little better with a 5 speed manual. Tuning is critical on these. Timing, points gap and carby float level need to be spot on. The electronic ignition from a later model will help and doesn't change the appearance under the bonett that much.

Mine gets about 25 mpg on average now. But I have a 1uzfe and 4 speed auto in it. :whistling: The paint was a bit faded so it got a respray. Apart from all that and a brake upgrade it is all original. Not quite as tidy inside as yours, but still pretty good, same colour too. My plan was to keep it looking as original as possible just with a more modern engine.

It drives as good as any newer car now. Very quiet on the highway for a station wagon.

Shane

post-9913-1220328768_thumb.jpg