Question about going home ..

Hey peeps ..

I'm living out in the UK currently but will be wanting to head back to Oz at some point.

I'll also be wanting to keep my MR2 - But I'm wondering if I should strip it, flog it and them just ship all the good bits and get a turbo in Oz.

Opinions?

Full spec of my car HERE

I would ship it back, but make sure you have everything itemised on your insurance!

Also, do they roadworthy check imports in your home state? There's a lot of stuff that may not comply (eg. height, no cat) that could cost you to fix. And then there's modified car insurance to worry about....

I'll be moving back to WA. And car insurance is not a worry, I've got someone in the know.

You recon it's worth bringing over a whole car? Not sure about that, I'd need to check the rules. If I was a pommie emigrating I'd get it in no probs, but I'm an Aussie moving home, I think I'd need to pay import tax BIG time ..

I'll be moving back to WA. And car insurance is not a worry, I've got someone in the know.

You recon it's worth bringing over a whole car? Not sure about that, I'd need to check the rules. If I was a pommie emigrating I'd get it in no probs, but I'm an Aussie moving home, I think I'd need to pay import tax BIG time ..

That`ll learn ya. Fancy wanting to leave blighty. :P :lol:

I think provided you have owned the car for greater then 12 months you are OK, but check the rules for sure, I could be wrong...

Check these websites:

Aust customs service

Department of Transport

This information is under the Personal Imports link at the DOTARS website -

To be eligible for a personal import the following criteria must be satisfied:

1. the vehicle has been owned and used by the applicant for a continuous period of at least 12 months (3 months where ownership and use of the vehicle commenced before 8 May 2000);

2. at the time the vehicle is imported, the applicant is:

1. an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident; or

2. a person who has applied to become an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident;

3. the applicant is of an age that entitles him or her to hold a licence or a permit to drive a road vehicle of that type;

4. the applicant undertakes to comply with any requirements as to road safety that are imposed in respect of the vehicle by the Administrator; and

5. the applicant has not imported a road vehicle owned by him/her within the year ending on the day on which the vehicle in respect of which the application is made is landed in Australia.