Camry handbrake

dmanda

I have had the handbrake adjusted twice and the rear shoes and pads checked and all seem to be ok ,yet my sportivo (05 model ) rolls on even the smallest incline when the handbrake is on.... has anyone else had this problem or know what is causing it to happen repeatedly? Some advice would be greatly appreciated :help:

I have read about other models having this trouble and some people say that this has to do with hot discs and the brake releasing when they cool ???? I seem to have the opposite affect.... the brakes seem to hold after it has sat for a while when i push the clutch in car stays???? I understand that leaving the car in gear will stop it rolling but it has moved even with the car in gear!!!! I don't want to damage the gearbox????

Edited by dmanda

Only way to really tell is by taking them out and putting new ones in. Might be able to compare side by side though.

I'm not sure how the handbrake works on the Camry, but if it uses separate pads have you inspected those to make sure they haven't worn out?

ok ive had a few of these hand brake problems at work 1 of which i couldnt ajust to fix that vehicle required cable replacement but if the cables are ok (which on an 05 they should still be ok)

if the mechanic you go to only adjust the hand brake from the cable adjustment in the car it only works if the cable is loose if not you have to romove the wheels and adjust

to do this find the adjuster should be just east of south position of adjuster hole on right hand side and adjust clock wise until you have about 5mm movement on leaver located on rear side of backing plate (the leaver the hand brake cable goes to)

once you have done this repeat on other side but the adjuster is adjusted opposite direction and ajuster is located a lil west of south through hole

if it doesnt hold after all this is done you may after all need cables and or shoes

main thing to remember is 3-5mm movement hand brake leaver at wheels