FUEL WARNING MESSAGE

MARK BESSEN

Hi, I have a 2012 200 series diesel Landcruiser which has recently started giving me a 'Check Fuel System' warning along with an amber exclamation warning sign once the fuel level drops below 1/4 of a tank. It has nothing to do with fuel filters as it still occurs after the filters have been replaced. After I refuel the message disappears. 

My mechanic suggested it could be the transfer pump in the fuel tank as he had seen this problem in Prados after around 160,000km. We replaced the pump but the problem is persisting. The issue first began at around 160,000km and the vehicle has now done 180,000km.

Has anyone else seen or heard of this issue? Suggestions would be gratefully received.

Mark

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

We’re having the exact same thing that Mark described happening with our 2018 200 series. Does anyone have any suggestions, knowledge or experience?

do you know any mechanics or auto electrician to put the car on a computer to see what error code comes something resetting error codes can help, or if you are wit RACV roadside call them out they will do a diagnosis and ask them to reset your codes while they are there 

• 1 month later...

Hi,

My 2013 200 series diesel Landcruiser has just displayed a 'Check Fuel System' warning along with an amber exclamation warning sign - the fuel level is below 1/4 of a tank and haven’t yet refilled to check if the warning disappears as Mark described.  I’ve replaced the fuel filter along with the procedure to reset fuel filter sensor dash warning but the 'Check Fuel System' warning is still displayed.

We are currently 600 kilometres from the nearest Toyota Service workshop so any suggestions/solutions will be much appreciated?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark i also had the exact problem with my 2013 Sahara July this year in Roma 1/4 tank of fuel light come on showing low fuel Black Toyota in Roma diagnosed problem with the pump between the tanks quite common with Landcruiser and Prado anywhere from 50,000 plus mine had done 200,000 KLMs was told to fill up tank and light will go out which it did only problem is it will happen each time your fuel tank gets to around 1/4 - 1/2  as time goes the pump malfunctions worse to the point of not working at all there is no time frame as to when the pump will stop $900.00 later problem solved at Gatton Toyota

19 hours ago, welshpomie said:

Hi Mark i also had the exact problem with my 2013 Sahara July this year in Roma 1/4 tank of fuel light come on showing low fuel Black Toyota in Roma diagnosed problem with the pump between the tanks quite common with Landcruiser and Prado anywhere from 50,000 plus mine had done 200,000 KLMs was told to fill up tank and light will go out which it did only problem is it will happen each time your fuel tank gets to around 1/4 - 1/2  as time goes the pump malfunctions worse to the point of not working at all there is no time frame as to when the pump will stop $900.00 later problem solved at Gatton Toyota

Hey mate, so what was the solution. Im having a similar problem with fuel not transferring between tanks and the fuel light is coming on at 1/4 tank. Did they just change the pump or was it the whole assembly? It’s been a problem I’ve been dealing with for months. Any info will be much appreciated. Cheers

Hi Bakidu          Toyota Service  dropped the fuel tanks replaced the fuel pump they had the Cruiser overnight no problem's since close to 7000 KLMS  as stated not a cheap option Toyota is not my normal Mech, the guy i normally  go to suggested take it to Toyota because its time consuming and better set up to do this type of repair as also stated pump can last a while and suddenly just stop which can be quite dangerous in the middle of traffic or on a back road out in the scrub  if you Click on the link https://www.billrobertsontoyota.com.au/2020/03/05/toyota-australia-recalls-vehicles-due-fuel-pumps/  regards Bryan

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Gents,

I’m another owner that is now having this same issue, 2013 Landcruiser. Tanks are being pulled out today to trouble shoot. From the history here, it seems they replace the pump, etc. Seems as though alot of 200 series are having this issue now. There is a fuel pump recall, however it doesn’t cover my Vin. Morgs

• 1 year later...

This conversation is quite old but doesn't seem to have a complete explanation.  It was extensively dealt with on the LCOOL.org forum (Land Cruiser Owners On Line) but that website has now been unavailable for more than a year.  What a shame as it was a great website for all info relating to Land Cruisers.  Anyway, I am very familiar with this problem and I will now give a full explanation.  Mine is a 2010 LC200 diesel.   I'm not sure if the petrol models have the same problem.

The problem is first noticed when the fuel warning light comes on at 1/4 tank and is blinking.  The normal fuel warning light comes on at about 1/8 tank and does not blink.  What the blinking light means is that the fuel level in the main tank is about 10 litres and the fuel in the sub tank is greater than about 10 litres.  When the main tank gets down to 10 litres, the sub tank should be empty.  This indicates a problem with the sub tank pump.  Be aware that the sub tank pump is located in the main tank.  It draws fuel from the sub tank when the computer turns it on.  It is a venturi pump - it pumps fuel in the main tank through a venturi which, in turn, draws fuel from the sub tank.  I'm not sure how the computer manages the pump, but I imagine it is something like this: when the main tank fuel level has dropped by a certain amount, say, 20 litres, it switches on the pump and re-fills the main tank from the sub tank.  This probably continues until the sub tank is empty.  I'm not sure but this detail doesn't matter.  When the warning light blinks, it means that the sub tank is not empty but the main tank is nearing empty, so there must be a fault.

The cause is usually the electrical connector in the top of the fuel pump assembly that fits into the top of the main tank.  Either the power or earth wire to the pump will be open circuit.  In the process, it experiences a high resistance which generates heat and melts the connector that goes to the pump.  I'm not sure now whether it was the connector on the pump lead or the underside of the connector in the lid of the assembly, but if you look closely (a magnifier will help) you might see the melted plastic.  This was the problem I had.   There was nothing wrong with the pump, just the connector.

I followed the instructions on LCOOL and cut the wires to the pump and routed 2 new wires through 2 holes drilled in the lid of the assembly.  These new wires were a tight fit in the holes I drilled and I thought there should not be any leakage there.  I also applied a fuel-proof sealer on each side of the hole in the lid.  On reflection, I should have obtained some neoprene grommets to fit the holes.  On the other end of the new wires, I soldered M&F push connectors so that the tank could be removed in future, if necessary, without the need to cut the wires.  I covered the connectors with heat-shrink tube.  The sub pump started working properly again.  However, some months later I discovered that if the fuel tanks were full and the vehicle was parked on just a slight hill, fuel would leak onto the road.  I have put up with that for a couple of years and made sure I didn't fill the tanks to full.

To do this repair I removed the tank from the vehicle.  Before you can do that, you need to open the inspection hole in the floor under the RH centre row passenger seat to disconnect the wires from the pump assembly.  To get to the inspection hole, you need to remove the seat and fold the carpet and underlay back.  I cut a hole on the carpet and underlay so that next time I would not have to remove the seat.  The cover on the inspection hole is held in place with butyl mastic.  When I replaced it I used silicone.  That was a mistake as I almost had to destroy the inspection cover to get it off.  Removing the seat and the tank is a 2 man job - unless you are Hercules.  A question I don't know the answer to is whether the fuel pump assembly can be removed through the inspection hole.  The ring which screws on to hold the assembly in place is quite tight and a special tool would be necessary to unscrew the ring.  I intend to make such a tool.  Previously, with the tank out, I made a tool to remove the ring, but that tool is too bulky to allow the ring to be removed through the inspection hole.  If anyone has knowledge about whether the pump assembly can be removed through the inspection hole, I would be grateful to hear it (0418 259 741).

I am about to sell my Land Cruiser (privately) so I have decided the replace the pump assembly.  The retail price from a Toyota dealer is in excess of $2,000.  I can source one from China via AliExpress for $328 AUD.  I will also check out some wrecking yards first.

I hope this helps someone.

Kind regards

Geoff

Edited by GeoffW
  • Like 1