DUPLICATE CAR KEYS

Dear Forum members,

Two weeks ago, I bought a Toyota used car (registered in June 2007) and was only given a Master key. I checked this with the Salesman and he told me there was no other spare keys.

Therefore, I bought a new uncut key from a Toyota dealer and intended to make a new one this week. However, my friends advised me not to and instead they told me to make a claim for the cost of the new key from Toyota as all of them were given more than one master key for their used cars.

I checked the Owner’s Manual and it was also mentioned that there were two master keys and a valet key for Toyota’s new car owner.

However, I don't know if I am entitled for two master keys as I am only the owner for used Toyota car.

Appreciate valuable advise from you guys.

Thank you and regards,

Whei Sheung Fong

Hi Whei Sheung Fong,

I also believe you should be entitled to 2 set of master keys + a valet key.

When the car is purchased new, it came with 2 masters + a valet, so I believe the dealer/sales agent is up to their sneaky ways.

I'd suggest you go into your dealership again and talk to the sales manager advising them of what had happened, as it is ridiculous receiving only 1 key. They also charge premium prices for having your new key cut and reprogrammed, so I'd take it back and ask for a refund on the key.

If they won't budge, I'd threaten them by saying to take it to the Australian Competition & Consumers Commission.

I know all too well what some sales people are like, and make sure never to back down. Only by pressuring them will you get what you deserve.

Cheers,

Jase

the same thing happened to me when i bought my car, i was only given one master key.

although the toyota service dept were sneaky and tried to convince me that the master key i was given was a valet key (as they cannot program a new key off a valet key), and wanted me to replace the locks and immobiler. i wanted none of their bull**** and demanded to speak to the proprietor of the dealer.

turns out he put the cost of the key and the coding costs onto the used cars cost centre. unfortunately, i only got another master key.

they're not legally obliged to provide more than one key.

Edited by lateralus

err dont think you can really argue...u did buy a used car after all...the problem is with used cars is, you pay for what you get thats why used cars a cheaper than a brand new car...if you want the keys just go buy them from the dealership...

Thank you very much for your guys' opinions.

I shall talk to the Sales Manager and hopefully, they would come to their senses.....

Anyway, I am still holding the expensive un-cut key (AUD 170) + Cutting cost (AUD 60).........HHH...

Pls wish me luck !