cabin water leak - corolla 2001

COROLLA 2001 SEDAN

I have an issue with water entering the cabin when it rains heavily somewhere around the driver's side beneath the dash and causes flooding of the driver's side carpet. I bought the car new and I haven't had any accidents. Does anybody else have this issue. I think the water may be entering via the accelerator cable hole.

Most likely it would be the seal on the drivers side door. If the seal is broken or worn near the top edge, the water can trickle down to the bottom of the door without you noticing and actually well up on the inner side of the door sill, when that overflows it trickles into the footwell. When it rains, if alot of water falls to the ground when you open the door, this is your problem.

Door seal is quite cheap and easy to replace.

Is this a common issue when new as I do recall checking the seals as part of my investigation without fault. Also, I do not notice a lot of water when I open the door. I remember tracing the source of the leak up behind the dashboard so I'm confident that it isn't coming through the door seals. I couldn't really get further access to the source of the leak without removing a whole bunch of components.

Well, I don't clean/wash the car much these days and I haven't had the problem for a while now. So I'm assuming that the hole has filled with dried dirt and sealed the leak. Now I just have to never wash out the engine bay ever again and I shouldn't have that problem again. Unfortunately, long term I'd say that the presence of water in the floor whether current or in the past can't be very good for susceptibility to corrosion. I must just be the lucky one.