axels

shibbysham

ok, so im looking at buying a toyota hilux, 4x4. the thing is tho, i prefer the front axel to be the solid piece, (not the wish bone type)

i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on the hiluxs that have the wishbone, ie: is it the model of hilux that has it or the year....

cheers

Hey Mate,

Solid Axles are brilliant! So good off road.. get some flexing happening.. And dont have too many suspension components to worry about... the (wishbone) suspension you are referring to is called IFS (Independent Front Suspension)

From what i can remember they stopped making solid axle at around the 1993 model mark i think.. Im not 100% sure on that though.. Def go solid axle though mate.. Easier to to suspension upgrades on aswell... For example 7"'s of lift for mine is only gonan cost me about 2500 buks.. Where as for an IFS im sure it would be a hell of a lot more if not impossible!

solid axles stopped bein made in 95 then went to ifs and in my opinion went soft in there engines too with the 3litre model just real slow compared to the 2.8l, bit more rugged i used to drive a 99 model extra cab for work and it was really gutless compared to my 2.8 with 33's and lift.

either way with any model there is millions of ways to mod a lux ifs or solid axle but if u want flex eventually go straight to a solid axle.

i have spent now about $20,000 on top of my $8500 purchase price for a 93 dualcab 4x4 it now has a 1uz-fe v8 under the bonnet, 2'' body lift, about 8'' of suspension lift, and soon will be 35's.

i dont have lockers dont have reduction gears or any other fancy crap and she litterly will just about go anywere (dont hold me too it though lol)

howz the lux goin for u dj

Nice one!

Its goin awesome man... Chucked some Maxxis 33' muddies on it.. Bloody lovin it.. 3" body lift and just ordered about 7"'s or suspension lift from Snake Racing.. Gonna be awesome!

Need a 1uz but! 2.4L petrol is gettin a bit gutless HAHA

Nice one!

Its goin awesome man... Chucked some Maxxis 33' muddies on it.. Bloody lovin it.. 3" body lift and just ordered about 7"'s or suspension lift from Snake Racing.. Gonna be awesome!

Need a 1uz but! 2.4L petrol is gettin a bit gutless HAHA

good stuff its amazing how much 33's help the old girls hey.

what kit did ya get from snake mines the pro rock stage 3 kit with cross over steering etc etc.

i used to have the 22r in my single cab good donk just the water crossings let them down ,1uz can be ya next big spend up lol buy that time i could be livin in brissy to give ya a hand and maybe convince ya to do it lol.

i went down home at easter and did some work on my v8 dualcab put half the snake kit in did a bit on the engine and give her a wash too lol hoping to have it here in darwin in the next month or 2 to finish her gettin real sick of driven my aurion it just doesnt go offroad like the hilux lol

Haha.. Yer.. The 33's make it so much better off road! Can finally do some good *****! HAHA

The kit i got is a custom kit.. Its the 2" Leafs, 3" Shackles, RS5000's all round, New Bush's and U-Bolts, Brake Lines, Torque bar and Drag Link for about $2,600... Will be 8"'s with my body blocks :-) Cant wait till it comes so i can fit it!

Haha... Sounds good man.. Ill have to buy another car soon.. All these mods are gonna take ages and atm my lux is my daily! Haha